Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phil Hughes hit by a bouncer, in a coma

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Awful incident. Not being too clued up about cricket, did the helmet not do its job then or just the sheer force of the ball or maybe the angle hit his head where there is less protection?

I assumed these helmets were pretty well tested

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Jesus. Poor bloke. Hope he turns out ok.

Don't know anything about cricket and was expecting some night club altercation type story opening this thread.

I thought cricket helmets had face guards as well?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nasty, lets hope he pulls through.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Oh no, poor bloke. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Just goes to show that helmets cannot be trusted really, although it is difficult to see where it hit him from that vid and my internet connection! Prior to helmets, he would have left that alone or tried to hit it whilst getting his head away from the line of the ball. I will be severely testing the school helmet my son will be using tomorrow after that.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
There is a false sense of confidence which comes with "protective" gear and there is a lot to be said for old-fashioned "get out of the way". I image the helmet, if struck straight on, would act a lot like a bullet proof vest - same force, just distributed differently. They only help when they cause the ball to glance off.

That said... hope the guy makes a full recovery and is back at the crease asap.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Awful incident. Not being too clued up about cricket, did the helmet not do its job then or just the sheer force of the ball or maybe the angle hit his head where there is less protection?

I assumed these helmets were pretty well tested

I think you could be right, in this picture it looks like it's hitting him almost under the helmet. That's pretty horrible, I've seen people hit in the helmet in club cricket and it can leave you quite dazed even if it's not a heavy impact. The helmet does offer a good level of protection but as has been said it can give you a false level of confidence in it.

Phillip-Hughes-is-struck-in-the-head-by-a-delivery.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hit behind the ear apparently...and had to have an operation to relief the pressure in his skull...an important 24 hours coming up according to reports ...wishing him the best

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Only last season Broad had a ball goes through the visor. It's a hard ball and at 90mph it's going to hurt.

You can never cover every inch of the head / neck as the batsman still needs freedom to move and play shots.

It's a terrible accident and my thoughts are with Hughes.

Stumpy Tim

Poor fella. Hope he makes it through & gets to continue his career.

The guy doing the reporting says it's "extremely unlikely" he'll replace Michael Clarke in the upcoming test against India. What him being in a coma I tend to agree - why even bring that up?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I cannot ever see them outlawing the bouncer, but maybe they need to improve the helmet protection

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Have to ask the question, is it time to outlaw the bouncer?

Understand fast bowlers will say its a legitimate delivery, I dont think that outweighs the dangers.
It pitched on a good length, it just got up, I think that is probably why it became a problem as he had no time to react. No time to set himself for the short pitcher.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
bloody hell ....the family has been through the wringer already.....he lost his brother this time last year , killed instantly when hit by a truck on the mitchell freeway in Perth....hope he comes good...!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I cannot ever see them outlawing the bouncer, but maybe they need to improve the helmet protection

That would seem the sensible route. You can't legislate against the ball spitting from a good-ish length and, though the beamer is an illegal delivery, the odd accidental one gets bowled. Was it Warne that was hit by one this year at Lords?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here