Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spread your Wings - How ahead of their time were Queen!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sammi was low
Just watching the show
Over and over again
Knew it was time
He'd made up his mind
To leave his dead life behind
His boss said to him
"Boy you'd better begin
To get those crazy notions right out of your head
Sammi who do you think that you are?
You should've been sweeping up the Emerald Bar"

Spread your wings and fly away
Fly away, far away
Spread your little wings and fly away
Fly away, far away
Pull yourself together
'Cos you know you should do better
That's because you're a free man

He spends his evenings alone in his hotel room
Keeping his thoughts to himself, he'd be leaving soon
Wishing he was miles and miles away
Nothing in this world, nothing would make him stay

Since he was small
Had no luck at all
Nothing came easy to him
Now it was time
He'd made up his mind
"This could be my last chance"
His boss said to him, "Now listen boy!
You're always dreaming
You've got no real ambition, you won't get very far
Sammi boy, don't you know who you are?
Why can't you be happy at the Emerald Bar?"

So honey

Spread your wings and fly away
Fly away, far away
Spread your little wings and fly away
Fly away, far away
Pull yourself together
'Cos you know you should do better
That's because you're a free man

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Don't like 'em but according to many stories the popularity of Punk was down to their non-appearance on TV that day so bless them all.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
[yt]D2yymMhjRu8[/yt]

What I'd give to have seen him live, especially at his peak as shown here. The voice, the charisma, the sheer presence....he had it all, and will never be equalled for me.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Saw them at The Dome, The Centre and The Rainbow, not necessarily in that order. Killer Queen just precipitated my first date with Mrs Earle 40 years ago. Always my band. My best mates had Yes and Tull and we shared Led Zep, but Freddie and the boys were mine.

Actually the thread was intended to be cunningly witty having changed the Y in Sammy to an I in line with my wish that Sammi spreads his wings and flies away. But what the hey. It was prompted by listening to Queen Forever today and what a great mix of songs it really is.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Don't like 'em but according to many stories the popularity of Punk was down to their non-appearance on TV that day so bless them all.
Ha, maybe or maybe not. But listen to the track Sheer Heart Attack. Punk played by proper musicians, ironically recorded in a studio opposite where The Sex Pistols were recording. And I still enjoy a lot of the Pistols stuff before you jump on me!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
[yt]D2yymMhjRu8[/yt]

What I'd give to have seen him live, especially at his peak as shown here. The voice, the charisma, the sheer presence....he had it all, and will never be equalled for me.

I concur on every point.

My Uncle actually had the pleasure of not only seeing them live in the mid 70s, but going backstage, having a chat with them all AND getting an album signed. Jammy 20th century buggers having all the fun :(

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
23 years today since Freddie passed away.

:bowdown:

Jesus is it that long a go ?

Very fortunately I saw their last ever gig at Knebworth, they were stunningly good live and a bonus as watched their helicopter arrive whilst perched very precariously on the perimeter fence.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Saw them at the Brighton Centre in 1979 just as Crazy Little Thing Called Love was in the charts. We were right down the front. Fantastic concert and remains the best I've ever seen (although to be fair I don't go to many). Pretty much did the Live Killers set.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Very fortunately I saw their last ever gig at Knebworth, they were stunningly good live and a bonus as watched their helicopter arrive whilst perched very precariously on the perimeter fence.

I'd forgotten that they were at Knebworth...so I got to see them 3 times, not 2. Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, twice in 77. Canada was not quite ready for Queen, at least the press weren't. $7.70 then $9 for floor seats, bargain.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
[yt]D2yymMhjRu8[/yt]

I was offered tickets to what ended up being their last ever Wembley gig ...... and I turned them down because I was already doing something else :facepalm: What a moron !

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Was there too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here