Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

solor panels

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Hi all, im considering getting solo panels at home and would like to ask if anyone has them and if they would recommend taking the plunge. I have quotes for 13 panels @£7000 with the feed in tariff giving me 14.38p per unit.

My wife isn't convinced and i would like to get her onboard as i personally think its the way to go.

So this is more a thread to convince her than me.

cheers

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
feed in tarrifs have dropped significantly over the last few years. work out how long it would take to become a viable proposition

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Hi all, im considering getting solo panels at home and would like to ask if anyone has them and if they would recommend taking the plunge. I have quotes for 13 panels @£7000 with the feed in tariff giving me 14.38p per unit.

My wife isn't convinced and i would like to get her onboard as i personally think its the way to go.

So this is more a thread to convince her than me.

cheers

I think the 14.38p per unit is only valid until the end of the year, when it will fall again. I got a few quotes in September and then held off doing anything. The impression I got was;

1 Best Option - find a small independent who really knows what they are talking about and can demonstrate a good track record of installations.
2 Use a national company (you can even buy panels via IKEA) - They should be buying at lower unit cost due to volume of sales.
3 Avoid small independents without a real passion for this stuff, or you risk poor price and poor service.

Locally Sunstore were the most impressive.

Your quotes should have given you a payback period in years, this should be on the conservative side. If you have money in the bank then the numbers can stack up and it does provide some protection from rising fuel costs.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
When something new(ish) comes on the market lots of cowboys jump on the bandwagon, there are some honest companies out there but as usual the market has become very confusing and tricky to know if you are getting the best deal.
For me I would steer clear as it takes so long to recoup your money.
Top tip, there are lots of reasons why you should not/cannot have solar panels a dodgy salesman/surveyor will not tell you this do, lots of research before deciding.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Locally Sunstore were the most impressive.

thanks, thats a great looking website. they include prices, alot dont which i always find suspicious. ive looked at solar time to time dont have the money to invest in it unfortunatly. in a decades time most people will regret not going for it, as power bills arent going to get any cheaper.

Top tip, there are lots of reasons why you should not/cannot have solar panels a dodgy salesman/surveyor will not tell you this do, lots of research before deciding.

like? only downside i've every come across is prejudices against appearence, which is subjective and often speculative.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Always wondered, what happens if you move after you have spunked out a few grand.
Do you have to include what your shortfall is on the selling price?
What if the purchaser dosnt want the Solar panels, but loves the house?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Always wondered, what happens if you move after you have spunked out a few grand.

The ugliness may lower selling price by up to £50k

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

It's not really going to be a deal breaker IMO. You wouldn't install a system to sell a house, so even a couple of years of running, will leave around 5k attached to your roof. If someone loves the house they will buy it regardless.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

same as if someone doesnt like the (relativly) new kitchen, bathroom suite, conservatory, large shed, converted garage etc, etc. you "fix" it or you live with it.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
thanks, thats a great looking website. they include prices, alot dont which i always find suspicious. ive looked at solar time to time dont have the money to invest in it unfortunatly. in a decades time most people will regret not going for it, as power bills arent going to get any cheaper.

like? only downside i've every come across is prejudices against appearence, which is subjective and often speculative.

I am sorry, it was a bit of an off the cuff post because I recently saw a programme on the subject, I think it was watchdog, and that is the reason I said what I did but I cannot remember the facts, some old people were royally ripped off by a cowboy company because the house was unsuitable for solar panels and they would have not got there money back for over 25 years.
There is a bona fide association for solar panels that sets out the facts and do's and do don'ts on their website.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We've got 18 of them. If you're planning of sticking around and have the spare cash then would recommend them. Had ours just over 3 years so were lucky to get in with the higher tariffs. In terms of money back, we are over halfway to getting them paid off based on the tariff alone which will be a couple of years less than what was quoted to us. Electricity bills down by about 10/15% as use of dishwasher, washing machine and dryer etc, are all done during the day.

If you are planning to have them, at least get 3 quotes. The quotes should include the period over which they get pay for themselves which I think is a legal obligation. Ours also included an indication of the savings on energy useage. We had 3 quotes and then I got a fourth from a local company that was recommended by a friend and they matched the lower and did some extra work on the electrical wiring (new consumer unit etc) all included. That was PDP from Burgess Hill and would recommend them. £7000 seems a bit steep. I thought prices had come down a lot more than that because the tariffs were much lower.

When something new(ish) comes on the market lots of cowboys jump on the bandwagon, there are some honest companies out there but as usual the market has become very confusing and tricky to know if you are getting the best deal.
For me I would steer clear as it takes so long to recoup your money.

Perhaps it would help if you gave a few of them. You make it sound like there are no 'pros' just a shed load of 'cons'.

The ugliness may lower selling price by up to £50k

Are they really any uglier than having a bunch of aerials sticking into the sky or satellite dishes! I would however agree that if you have an idyllic cottage or listed property then they are probably not for you.

Good point. Not worth investing if you don't think you are likely to move in a few years. I believe that the FIT can be transferred to the new owner so that can be a selling feature, that along with the lower energy bills.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm not an expert or salesman, just a punter happy to give feedback based on 4 years experience of domestic solar PV.

You are right to consider the pros and cons, then canvas opinions, read reviews and evaluate your own specific options. There are scare stories about escalating costs of electricity plus demand outstripping supply. Solar PV is not a perfect solution but it feels good to be that bit more independent of the utility companies. Clearly the case 'for' would be more persuasive if it were economic or practical to store the electricity that you generate. Currently you need to consume it as it is being generated by the PV panels i.e. during hours of daylight.

If you decide to get quotes then do avoid potential hidden costs from companies that look to send a salesperson rather than an approved technician to conduct the site survey, plus check the company's accreditation and look for references from their previous installations.

A significant issue for you is whether to own the whole installation and optimise the benefits - or just rent out your roof. The latter option can have potential implications if you decide to sell the property and this has attracted adverse publicity in the media. So factor in whether you are likely to move on before you have recovered the outlay and whether the contract can be transferred to a new property owner.

Don't overlook possible planning implications. The panels are functional and not a thing of beauty so may be controversial among your neighbours. In theory the panels are allowed under 'permitted development' rules (unless within a conservation area), but best to check with the planning authority.

I have a 10 panel 2.4 kW solar PV system and although the initial outlay was significant, the performance comfortably exceeds the predictions, which were understandably conservative. Plus the installation is not 100% south facing. I currently receive 'FIT payments' approximately 3 times the cost of my annual electricity bill, so the balance goes towards the initial capital outlay and should comfortably recover this within another 3 years. You should also factor in the potential £1k cost of a replacement inverter panel once the 10 year warranty expires. Fingers crossed it will last significantly longer. However the technology is being refined and more efficient 'micro-inverters' on each panel are now far more viable.

I know that FIT payments have shrunk but so have the installation costs. Given that interest rates on savings are still very modest I would very seriously consider investing in solar PV, providing you verify that your site is viable. You should then benefit from a) a significant amount of 'free' electricity b) get paid for generating your own electricity and c) paid a lesser sum for any surplus that you can export to the grid. If you then adopt a positive routine for using electrical appliances like washing machines during generating hours (daylight) and minimising it at other times you will also reduce your normal electricity bills and give yourself some resilience against potential daytime power cuts. Plus it also focuses the mind for being more energy efficient in other areas. Despite having PV I still negotiate hard with the power companies to get the best deals, plus have also diversified other forms of heating to give some resilience.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your research.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
We have had a 1.2kw solar PV system in place since we bought our house 3 years ago new and make about £500 per year plus the use of the generated solar energy. We read the meters ourselves so no need to let in servicemen to read the meter. Our tariff is the original 42p rate so bear that in mind when comparing return on investment and assessing the time to get your money back. Also remember to build in wear and tear repair costs of any panels. We have had none yet. Even if it breaks even we have a warm feeling we are doing our renewable energy bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here