Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wooden Bow Tie

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was indeed a classic tale. I remember one of bakers phone-in threads " have you ever been hit by the ball at a proper match? " A fella rang in to say he was at a championship game with a very small crowd and he was sat about five seats away from the touchline and quite high up. He said a full back booted the ball out for a throw and it was flying up the stand at an angle just above seat high. The fella said there was no one in front and he could see it was going to hit him full on like a rocket.

A fraction of a second before it hit, he leant quickly to the right and the ball sailed past where his face would have been. he said he popped back up feeling rather smug that he had dodged the ball quite smoothly. About half a second later he was hit in the back of his head and his glasses shot 5 rows down the stand, he had forgotten he was sat about 3 rows from the concrete back of the stand and that the ball had come back like a rocket and got him at the second attempt.... marvellous scenes.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Surely, with all the other crap that's out there, there's a very funny book to be done writing up the Best Danny Baker Phone Calls?

Before I really cottoned on to him, a mate used to tell me about blokes who'd be calling in saying that their girlfriends looked like footballers (or something), or about the bloke who was literally the only person in the away end, to whom the home fans started singing "he's got no mates". These things need to be captured and written up before descending entirely into the realm of myth, like the wooden bow tie.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Continues to be my favourite bit of radio ever.

Cannot recommend the DB auto biographies (1st is in audiobook format also) highly enough. Laugh out loud and truly fascinating.

Hats off to the delivery though!

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Another classic Baker story is the time Marc Bolan died.
He was brought a cup of tea in bed by his dad, who said " who's that singer you like, the one with stars on his face ??,
dead, gawn,GAWN !!"
With that, he closed the door, leaving a poor young Baker alone ,to take in the news !

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Another classic Baker story is the time Marc Bolan died.
He was brought a cup of tea in bed by his dad, who said " who's that singer you like, the one with stars on his face ??,
dead, gawn,GAWN !!"
With that, he closed the door, leaving a poor young Baker alone ,to take in the news !

Even better with DB, he loves you chaps with the drum and the ultras :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here