Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tablets: iPad mini v Hudl v whatever

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
To be fair, I wouldn't say there's a lack of decent apps as such. The big ones are all covered. But much less choice than you find on the app store.
You have an advantage over me there as I don't know anything about the apple store except that it is very good. I've never had a problem finding very good apps on Google though.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I have 2 daughters. One has an iPad, the other a Hudl. Neither would swap the one that they have for the other one.
The main reason that one likes the iPad the best is that all her friends have Apple stuff, so she needs it if she wants to talk to them through iMessage. The iPad is also a bit lighter and you can get funky covers.

The Hudl is excellent value if you don't need to access iMessage. Google Play is almost as good as the Apple App store.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
The Hudl 1 was a very basic tablet, and not well manufactured.

The Hudl 2 has got some really good reviews, and from sites that don't hesitate to lay into bad products. Every review flags up the parental controls and the value for money (not many tablets in this price range have a full HD screen or such powerful speakers). The trade-off is poor battery life - it would need charging at the end of each day, whereas the iPad mini, and more expensive Android tablets, can last for days at a time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hundreds of unhappy Hudl customers including myself. Certainly a fault with charging port. Buy one at your peril.

https://www.facebook.com/tesco/posts/650336255025509?stream_ref=5
I understand your dissatisfaction with your tablet. However why highlight the wrong tablet?
The Hudl 1 was a very basic tablet, and not well manufactured.

The Hudl 2 has got some really good reviews, and from sites that don't hesitate to lay into bad products. Every review flags up the parental controls and the value for money (not many tablets in this price range have a full HD screen or such powerful speakers). The trade-off is poor battery life - it would need charging at the end of each day, whereas the iPad mini, and more expensive Android tablets, can last for days at a time.
This.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I have 2 daughters. One has an iPad, the other a Hudl. Neither would swap the one that they have for the other one.
The main reason that one likes the iPad the best is that all her friends have Apple stuff, so she needs it if she wants to talk to them through iMessage. The iPad is also a bit lighter and you can get funky covers.

The Hudl is excellent value if you don't need to access iMessage. Google Play is almost as good as the Apple App store.

This is a very good point about the iPad linking to other Apple stuff when you have kids. Not only is there iMessage (free on wifi) but Find My iPhone as well which I find incredibly useful sometimes both for my own and the various Apply products owned by my kids. And iCloud is great for syncing etc.

Never owned any other kind of tablet so can't compare but I wouldn't change my Apple stuff for anything......

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've had a Nexus 7 and an iPad mini. In my opinion the iPad is streets ahead.
The Android-powered Nexus often slowed down and I had to use a memory manager to kill background apps. The iPad manages it's memory much better and I've rarely needed to close errant apps.
Also look at resale values, the iPad holds its price much better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here