Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tablets: iPad mini v Hudl v whatever

Torn with indecision about which one to get for oldest daughter for Christmas. She has an iPod, uses mum's iPad but has friends with Hudl's and doesn't seem too fussed if she gets on of these instead of an iPad mini.

Pricewise it seems a bit of a no brainer, and I also like the fact that you can boost the storage on the Hudl unlike the iPad.

What would the wise heads of NSC suggest, what does the iPad do that the Hudl doesn't to justify the higher price.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have an iPad mini and consider it the total dog's spermatazoa-makers. I can't compare it with a Hudl though, so this reply is probably only of limited value...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't compromise - iPad all the way as you get what you pay for.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I have an iPad and my daughters have a galaxy note, we argue over who gets the iPad, never over the Samsung which feels a bit toy like in comparison to the iPad, the hudl does seem very good value and to be honest I only ever really use the iPad to browse the interweb which I'm sure the hudl is more than capable of...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you have to consider two things: the ecosystem and the hardware.

the ecosystem is the apps, if you have another device you are used to, or apps you've brought, then you'll probably want to stay with what you know.
the hardware is important, but you pay alot more for the same spec with iPads, thers a lot of badge going on. check the online comparison reviews to see what you think meets what you want best.

i think (not sure though) that hudl comes with restrictive downloads as you have to go through their portal, not the generic Google app store. this might be a plus for some. i think theres parental controls too. either way, the hardware is decent and price good, with discounts on tesco clubcard vouchers a real bargin.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I would suggest not buying such an expensive Christmas present at all, though I am a Grinch.
That said Nexus 7 is very decent.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Black Friday on scAmazon today - Kindle Fire HDX 16GB - £99
Link doesn't work

Careful with Hudl's. I have the original one and there seems to be a massive problem with the charging port. I won't ever buy another one. Not happy with the customer care service i received over a replacement one either.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm very much an Apple fan but as I already had an ipad I opted against the Mini and bought a Nexus 7 instead. Much cheaper, the screen is a better shape for viewing videos and it fits comfortably in one hand . It's not quite as good as the ipad but, for the price, I'm pretty happy.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
i think (not sure though) that hudl comes with restrictive downloads as you have to go through their portal, not the generic Google app store. this might be a plus for some. i think theres parental controls too. either way, the hardware is decent and price good, with discounts on tesco clubcard vouchers a real bargin.

That's not correct. The play store is fully functional on the hudl2 even if you elect to use the skin tesco place on it. There is very little branding on it, it's almost vanilla Google. I bought one for my eldest son after I accidentally threw his tv out (don't ask!) and I am very impressed for the price. Unless, as beorthelm says, you have loads of apple apps, it may be a good alternative. The build quality is excellent and it is very very snappy.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
iPad will be more expensive but have more (tablet optimised) apps and a higher resale.

Hudl2 is excellent for a cheap, android tablet. But lack of decent apps might be an issue.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you go for the Mini, there is quite a leap between the original iPad Mini and the iPad Mini 2 (retina). There is less of a leap between the iPad Mini 2 and the new iPad Mini 3, making the iPad Mini 2 a decent affordable choice rather than going for the 3.

We managed to get the original iPad Mini 16bg with Tesco club card vouchers for £155. Not sure if that deal is still going - worth checking (if you collect Tesco points). It's for my youngest so he'll be fine with the original version.

SAC

May 21, 2014
The Hudl is a very good tablet for the price. I have not seen the Hudl2 but the price looks very attractive.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Both do all the things your Daughter needs from a tablet.
Both will last if treated properly.
Both can be bought from Tesco using clubcard points.
One is apx. £70.00 cheaper than the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here