Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Springsteen 'selling out?'

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
He's re-releasing his first seven albums, some remastered, on download, and box sets of CDs, and seven records, with a sixty page booklet of unseen photos, which usually means discards from shoots that weren't used, with the vinyl going for about a hundred and sixty five gib :ohmy:

And one that will stretch the budget of any avid completists, namely three-CD live sets from THIRTY ONE shows on the High Hopes tour :ohmy:

I will make do with listening to the output I've already got, ta Bruce :kiss:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If he ever releases the Hyde Park show from 2012 or the Wembley one from 2013, I'll be right in there. :thumbsup:

I would suspect that most will only buy recordings of shows they've attended, as a memento.

Spun Cuppa

If he ever releases the Hyde Park show from 2012 or the Wembley one from 2013, I'll be right in there. :thumbsup:

I would suspect that most will only buy recordings of shows they've attended, as a memento.

I think there is a DVD of Hyde Park 2012, smelly bark mulch and McCartney 'unplugged' ('effing travesty!) in all their glory :smile:

Was there, natch :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think there is a DVD of Hyde Park 2012, smelly bark mulch and McCartney 'unplugged' ('effing travesty!) in all their glory :smile:

Was there, natch :thumbsup:

If there is, I've never found it. :down:

I know there's one from when he played Hyde Park in 2009, but I've not seen one of the 2012 show. It was my first ever experience of The Boss live - managed to get there early and get quite close to the front, so had been stood in place for about 7 and a half hours by the time he arrived. Just starting to wonder if it was all going to be worth the wait, then he walked out and did that AWESOME version of Thunder Road. I was hooked once and for all right then.

:bowdown:

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
He hardly needs the money but for the sublime 'Born to Run' album alone, within reason, he can do whatever the **** he likes as far as I'm concerned...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How is releasing the music he made 'selling out'? Selling out is doing something you have a moral or principal opposition to just for the money. I don't think selling his own music is something he is morally opposed to.

Spun Cuppa

How is releasing the music he made 'selling out'? Selling out is doing something you have a moral or principal opposition to just for the money. I don't think selling his own music is something he is morally opposed to.

The man who for his entire career has waged an almost vendetta against ticket touts making more than face value on tickets for his shows, so his fans aren't ripped off, to release 31 live show 3-disc CD sets? Smacks of profiteering to me ???

Spun Cuppa

If there is, I've never found it. :down:

I know there's one from when he played Hyde Park in 2009, but I've not seen one of the 2012 show. It was my first ever experience of The Boss live - managed to get there early and get quite close to the front, so had been stood in place for about 7 and a half hours by the time he arrived. Just starting to wonder if it was all going to be worth the wait, then he walked out and did that AWESOME version of Thunder Road. I was hooked once and for all right then.

:bowdown:

You could be right tbf re: it being the 2009 show. If you just want the audio, EVERY Springsteen show for last 30+ years has been bootlegged with varying degrees of sound quality, and it shouldn't be too difficult to track down a CD of the 2012 show through the various unofficial 'boot' producer/supplier websites, allegedly :wink:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The man who for his entire career has waged an almost vendetta against ticket touts making more than face value on tickets for his shows, so his fans aren't ripped off, to release 31 live show 3-disc CD sets? Smacks of profiteering to me ???

I guess he would also not be pleased if some c nut bought all these box sets and then sold them on at a higher price too. Musicians selling records is not selling out, releasing a bundle like this before Christmas is marketing and will make Bruce a tidy sum for no more work. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Spun Cuppa

I guess he would also not be pleased if some c nut bought all these box sets and then sold them on at a higher price too. Musicians selling records is not selling out, releasing a bundle like this before Christmas is marketing and will make Bruce a tidy sum for no more work. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I agree with all the inputs on the thread about having a choice about whether to buy the stuff or not, but still feel he is more than aware that there are lots of collectors out there that have to buy all he puts out, and I feel a bit sorry fore them. A bit like the Tracks box set, then releasing a single CD compilation of that set, with a couple of tracks not on the original set? Fairly blatant marketing ploy, no?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes. But I am fairly sure he has always marketed his music, he writes the stuff so he can sell it, I don't see it as selling out, just selling.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
He's probably making sure it's released now rather than after he's popped his clogs. At least releasing it all now means he has full control over where the money goes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Struggling to see the issue here. Someone who plays for up to 4 hours a show is not someone who is trying to rip his fans off IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fugazi have got this live show release thing down to a tee. They've got an on-line archive of every show they've ever played and, if a recording is available for that show, its available digitally for a couple of quid. Marvellous stuff.

Metallica have the same. Some are free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here