Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Did he deserve his place back in the side? Didn't travel yesterday and wondered if his overall performance was good enough. Personally I would have stuck with Walton at the moment

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Wasn't there but on the stream saw him pull off some very important saves that kept us in the game at 2-1.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I cannot see what Walton has done wrong and I would have kept him in

I don't think Walton has done anything wrong, I think it's just a case of sticking with the No1. After watching the goals I think maybe Stockdale could of done better with the 3rd goal.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I don't think Walton has done anything wrong, I think it's just a case of sticking with the No1. After watching the goals I think maybe Stockdale could of done better with the 3rd goal.

Walton had his chance when Stockdale got injured, took it, and should have kept his place. No player has the right to walk straight back into the team just because he is deemed as first choice keeper IMO.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
For me. stockdale was at fault for the 1st as his poor throw out. Immediately. Put a potential counter attack into a defending situation. With Hughes caught out of position

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Walton had his chance when Stockdale got injured, took it, and should have kept his place. No player has the right to walk straight back into the team just because he is deemed as first choice keeper IMO.

I do agree with you that you should play the man who earns his place rather than just giving it automatically to the recognised first choice but it would seem that our manager doesn't or knows something that we don't.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Maybe Walton deserved to keep his place but Stockdale made some very good saves yesterday. Maybe his throw for the 1st was not great. He had no hope on the 2nd and the 3rd was hit so early don t think he had much chance. Made some very good saves at 2-1 down and kept us in the game. Walton has played well but he is still 19. Like to see him play in the cup. He will be our number 1 by 21 and if we can keep hold of him (big if) we could have a top class goalkeeper for 10-15 years.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Perhaps Stockdale has been outperforming Walton every day in training? They have more to go on than we see.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For me. stockdale was at fault for the 1st as his poor throw out. Immediately. Put a potential counter attack into a defending situation. With Hughes caught out of position

Who was at fault for the second and third then, if we're going back to players giving the ball away?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Who was at fault for the second and third then, if we're going back to players giving the ball away?

I blame that Jackson chap, for arranging that meeting at the Seven Stars. All three goals were ultimately HIS fault.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
i'll risk getting shot down ..i didnt see Walton in the cup game but did watch the 2 home games..and whilst he was steady he wasn't called on to make many saves.. bit like people were describing Stockdale for the first 5 or so games of the season....its good to know we have a good back up keeper, but on the basis of experience i totally agree with SH's decision

Slightly off topic...how did Hughes get on yesterday, should he be dropped for Dunk next week? :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
2 points to make:

1 I dont think Walton should have been replaced but can understand Hypia having a no 1 and bringing him back. I also think we will get an offer in January/summer we cant refuse for Walton.
2. I think the criticism of Stockdale and apportioning blame is wrong he couldnt do anything about any of the goals but I am waiting for that save he had no right get to.

My general opinion of him is that he was not worth the reported £1m fee and is too slow to react to shots especially those down low near the post.

The problem he has is that he has replaced arguably the best keeper in Brightons history or at least the last 20 years, apart from perhaps his last couple of months, and DS hasnt played well enough to banish his memory and is always compared to him. DS started the season poorly being responsible for a number of goals and points dropped and will have to work to turn the opinons of the vast majority of fans at The Amex, not the 200 on here, round.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Was at the game. Generally Stockdale looked OK apart from his distribution. Having looked at the highlights on TV he was possibly a bit slow down to the third but generally nothing wrong with his performance.

However i believe that whatever your position in the team you should earn it on merit and not reputation. Walton had done nothing that a fan could see to justify him being dropped. If I was a player in that squad it sends the message that reputation / transfer fee counts for more than current form.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
His first game after a spell out sounds like he played well. I think people are way to harsh on him. Other players returning from injury would normally be given a little bit of slack.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If you wait for you chance. Then take your chance and play well, you deserve to keep your place in the team. Otherwise what message does that send out to the rest of the squad? Basic simple man management. Walton should have kept his place until his form deemed otherwise and that's no reflection on Stockdale, it just simple basic management...One of the main reasons we are where we are is because Hyypia tinkers with the team to much and he hasn't got a clue what his best starting line up is.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

That happens throughout games and how teams win and lose possession, by a misguided pass or interception. But I don't expect a keeper, who is under no pressure, to throw a ball out directly to the opposition player, who was not within 10 yards of one of our players, to be honest. But I would add, I thought it was his only mistake in the game although very costly.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
2 points to make:

1 I dont think Walton should have been replaced but can understand Hypia having a no 1 and bringing him back. I also think we will get an offer in January/summer we cant refuse for Walton.
2. I think the criticism of Stockdale and apportioning blame is wrong he couldnt do anything about any of the goals but I am waiting for that save he had no right get to.

My general opinion of him is that he was not worth the reported £1m fee and is too slow to react to shots especially those down low near the post.

The problem he has is that he has replaced arguably the best keeper in Brightons history or at least the last 20 years, apart from perhaps his last couple of months, and DS hasnt played well enough to banish his memory and is always compared to him. DS started the season poorly being responsible for a number of goals and points dropped and will have to work to turn the opinons of the vast majority of fans at The Amex, not the 200 on here, round.

:lol: I love the commitment you show to slating Stockdale. I think most people on NSC ignore your comments in goalkeeper threads because it will be the same regurgitated tosh in every post. Give it a break eh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here