Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diving and play acting

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is it getting worse?

In watching MoTD we've already had Victor Moses blatantly dive for a penalty when unchallenged, Ross Barkley dive when Kevin Nolan didn't tackle him and then Everton's James Tomkins clutching his face when clearly pushed in the chest.

I can forgive the first - Victor Moses was a product of the Crystal Palace youth setup and, as such, would have been subject to the same coaching that has seen dear old Zaha put in Olympic standard diving exhibitions the length and the breadth of the country.

Ross Barkley though - a bright young English talent - disappointing. I'd never heard of James Tomkins before 10 minutes ago, so I have no idea of his background.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tomkins was a disgrace, Barkley to be fair, lost his footing according to Mrs Hut.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Is it getting worse?

In watching MoTD we've already had Victor Moses blatantly dive for a penalty when unchallenged, Ross Barkley dive when Kevin Nolan didn't tackle him and then Everton's James Tomkins clutching his face when clearly pushed in the chest.

I can forgive the first - Victor Moses was a product of the Crystal Palace youth setup and, as such, would have been subject to the same coaching that has seen dear old Zaha put in Olympic standard diving exhibitions the length and the breadth of the country.

Ross Barkley though - a bright young English talent - disappointing. I'd never heard of James Tomkins before 10 minutes ago, so I have no idea of his background.

Tomkins plays for West Ham...allegedly

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Is it getting worse?

It's been getting worse since the early nineties. The only people really to blame are the governing bodies of the game.

They point blank refuse to realise there is a problem and the punishment is almost non existent

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tomkins was a disgrace, Barkley to be fair, lost his footing according to Mrs Hut.

and he didnt look for anything himslef, got up and carried on. the Tomkins one is the worst because he's instigated a confrontation in the first place, hes going for a red. it not just unsporting, it unprofessional.

its getting worse in so far as its more blatant. the leaving a foot in to be tripped is subtle is distateful way to draw a foul. falling on your arse from antipating contact is deplorable. said for a long time, if we see retropsective reds or match bans for dives, they'll stop. also, waving imaginary cards at the ref for any reason should be a yellow, stop that crapply little practice.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Retrospective bookings would soon sort out the clear dives. Also by highlighting the dives on MOTD the embarrassment factor should stop some of it as well.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The Tomkins one was just embarrassing. I hope he realises what a plonker he's made of himself.

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
Part of the problem is that refs are so reluctant to give fouls when players stay on their feet, hitting the ground has become the equivalent of appealing in cricket.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Retrospective bookings would soon sort out the clear dives. Also by highlighting the dives on MOTD the embarrassment factor should stop some of it as well.

Agreed. Name and shame the offenders. Maybe have a review panel including former players to give it credibility and a tariff of meaningful sanctions to provide a deterrent.

Whilst on the bandwagon I nominate 'time wasting' as another blight on the game. A creeping malaise that is ruining the game. I'm not talking about the sort of legitimate slowing down of play that Poyet sometimes got stick for, clearly the ball was 'in play', so it's up to an opposing team (and their fans) to get on with the game.

I hate the institutional and persistent time wasting that seems to have been instilled into players, coaches and ball boys at some clubs. Our league game against Derby at the iPro last season comes to mind, it was so blatant and yet it was indulged by weak match officials. Such a negative attitude by Derby. Why not just deny the opposition the ball by playing football and retaining possession?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I really think that pro's have no embarrassment factor in them at all. Remember Drogba saying that he dived when necessary ? He really didn't worry.
I don't think Diego Maradonna has expressed any sort of remorse for "The Hand of God " or his drop kick or the numerous times he went down for nothing. When Micheal Owen went down against Argentina from a minimal clip to the hip we did not complain and he certainly didn't worry, this was evening up the other teams cheating.

We are now stuck with this and I can't see any chance of it going away, sadly.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't think the so called experts on tv panels help either. One thing that really gets my goat is when they come out with "he was entitled to go down there" which insinuates it is perfectly acceptable for players to go to ground.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Am I the only one thinking that physios etc aren't allowed on the pitch quite so readily as previous seasons?

This in turn is causing the nature of the 'injury' to be exasperated, but treatment time doesn't seem to take any longer.

I think this season general routine around the pitch diving has improved.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
I remember rivaldo clutching his face and rolling around like he'd been shot when a Turkish player kicked the ball back to him at a corner which hit him on the leg in the wc. Also a famous shot of mickey Thomas winking at the camera when he won a free kick for diving back in the 70s. Diving and play acting has been around for years- maybe it's got a little worse or maybe the thousands of hd camera angles and thousands of replays makes it easier to spot.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I really think that pro's have no embarrassment factor in them at all. Remember Drogba saying that he dived when necessary ? He really didn't worry.
I don't think Diego Maradonna has expressed any sort of remorse for "The Hand of God " or his drop kick or the numerous times he went down for nothing. When Micheal Owen went down against Argentina from a minimal clip to the hip we did not complain and he certainly didn't worry, this was evening up the other teams cheating.

We are now stuck with this and I can't see any chance of it going away, sadly.

Your absolutely right, Luis Suarez was saying exactly the same when he was interview at Liverpool, he really did not see what the issue was, "if i need to dive to get the penalty to win the game then its the right thing to do" that was his view point, he sees nothing wrong in cheating, No such thing as winning the right way, anyway is the right way so long as you win.
Disgusting attitude.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Tompkins made a total (*nt of himself yesterday. No room for that sh1t in West Ham. Hope he gets a bo11ocking from the club and the fans.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here