Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many unstoppable 'worldies' have we conceded this season?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It feels like one every couple of games or so.
Even last weeks header was 'perfectly placed'.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wasn't too much Stockdale (nor any 'keeper) could have done about Martin's pile driver.

If fault has to be found, then the strength of the clearance and/or not having a player on the edge of the box for the second ball would be it. Stockdale - nah, I'm not having it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many have we scored as well?

That I do know.

(Was instantly going to just wade in with NONE) but then Holla v Brentford sneaked into my mind.

I know we've attempted about 10 per game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As BensGrandad pointed out on the match thread, we never used to concede worldies cause TK would save them :wink:
Its reasons like that make me steer clear of the match day thread.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale was absolved from any blame today but as I have said it is times like this when you need your keeper to make an equally world ranking save occassionally. These saves seperate the good keeper from the run of the mill.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It feels like one every couple of games or so.
Even last weeks header was 'perfectly placed'.

That's because Stockdale is a crap keeper , most shots or headers go in because his positioning is poor , and never in the right place to make a save

Yoda

English & European
Wasn't too much Stockdale (nor any 'keeper) could have done about Martin's pile driver.

If fault has to be found, then the strength of the clearance and/or not having a player on the edge of the box for the second ball would be it. Stockdale - nah, I'm not having it.

We did have someone on the edge of the box, but he stopped chasing the ball out. :facepalm:

Step forward Kazenga LuaLua. If he had carried on going for the ball, he may well have been in a position to throw himself at the shot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Going back to the original question.

What team scored the 'worldie' from in front of the NW stand?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not blaming Stockdale but I do wish he would make an outstanding save to give us hope. It will happen just a matter of when. If only he could have got to either of the last 2 shots that brought a goal

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I am not blaming Stockdale but I do wish he would make an outstanding save to give us hope. It will happen just a matter of when. If only he could have got to either of the last 2 shots that brought a goal

Against Rotherham he had a very impressive game which was encouraging. Other than that he's comfortably cost us more points than you'd expect a keeper to be responsible for with 18 games gone.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The jury is still out on Stockdale. The problem with debating about keepers is that it can be very difficult to judge from the sidelines whether they could've got to a shot. The default judgement for a keeper seems to be praise for regulation saves and then say they had no chance if someone gets a good goal - seems reasonable enough doesn't it.

To counter that - how many times do you hear it said of other keepers "he had no right to make that save"? Certainly a few times against us this season. I've not seen Stockdale get close to a ball that he had no right to get to and that makes me doubt him.

I put on the match thread after the first goal that I thought he could've got closer - obviously I can't say that with 100% certainty because I've only seem it from 1 angle but to me it looked like it was about a foot away from the near post and below the crossbar. His dive didn't seem to travel very far and from what I've seen it never does, which could be a reason we've conceded lots of goals that are put in the corner - it's possible they look like worldies because he hasn't got the reach to get near them.

Obviously it's just a theory, but it's no worse a theory than putting it down to bad luck.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Yeah, same with Walton. When is he going to start making world class saves, dammit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here