Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Christmas gift idea thread 2014

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Post links to brilliant Christmas gift ideas for those of us who are struggling with awkward relatives!!

And remember to buy via amazon via the link above :)

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I did this mention this years ago and haven't been for a few years myself but if you have £48 to spend on someone near Worthing or Battle and want to give them something unique then a painting session with Paul and Terri is good

http://www.paulandterri.co.uk/

That includes tuition, paint and canvas and they will help you create a Bob Ross style painting of your own. Bearing in mind I have no artistic skill whatsoever, here are a couple of pictures I created in their sessions 10 years or so ago.

View attachment 60317
View attachment 60318

For those relatives that are not in Sussex, there are Certified Ross Instructors all over the country. The feeling of creating your own passable oil painting is a very good gift to give - my dad loved it.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I did this mention this years ago and haven't been for a few years myself but if you have £48 to spend on someone near Worthing or Battle and want to give them something unique then a painting session with Paul and Terri is good

http://www.paulandterri.co.uk/

That includes tuition, paint and canvas and they will help you create a Bob Ross style painting of your own. Bearing in mind I have no artistic skill whatsoever, here are a couple of pictures I created in their sessions 10 years or so ago.

View attachment 60317
View attachment 60318

For those relatives that are not in Sussex, there are Certified Ross Instructors all over the country. The feeling of creating your own passable oil painting is a very good gift to give - my dad loved it.

That looks excellent, may well buy one for my Mum for Xmas.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That looks excellent, may well buy one for my Mum for Xmas.
I went several times and can highly recommend it. All you need to do is to take your own lunch and a few quid (Think it was £15 - maybe a bit more now) if you will want a frame - they provide the materials and, certainly at Battle, tea and coffee. Bob Ross paintings are sneered at by art critics but anyone who has seen any of his shows on Discovery will see what he can achieve in 30 minutes is very impressive. The technique uses specially designed oil paints that blend very easily using a wet on wet technique which is easy to pick up. It won't turn your mum into Constable but everyone comes home with a passable picture. Paul and Terri take it in turns every class as to who paints and who helps. Then, paintings are broken into stages which you watch and then go and do - with help if required. And remember, as Bob used to say, there are no mistakes - just Happy Accidents! :) And most, if not all are, redeemable.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I went several times and can highly recommend it. All you need to do is to take your own lunch and a few quid (Think it was £15 - maybe a bit more now) if you will want a frame - they provide the materials and, certainly at Battle, tea and coffee. Bob Ross paintings are sneered at by art critics but anyone who has seen any of his shows on Discovery will see what he can achieve in 30 minutes is very impressive. The technique uses specially designed oil paints that blend very easily using a wet on wet technique which is easy to pick up. It won't turn your mum into Constable but everyone comes home with a passable picture. Paul and Terri take it in turns every class as to who paints and who helps. Then, paintings are broken into stages which you watch and then go and do - with help if required. And remember, as Bob used to say, there are no mistakes - just Happy Accidents! :) And most, if not all are, redeemable.

Sounds great, my parents live in Battle so would be very local for them. She is not particularly artistic so sounds perfect for her!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here