Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Co-op has just lost my custom with their ridiculous nanny state chicken idea

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Co-op will now ONLY sell whole chickens in a roasting bag because it's "safer" if you're not handling the chicken. FFS. I make a roast most Sundays. Untying, stuffing and seasoning the chicken is a fundamental part of the routine, as is making gravy from the juices. I'm with Tony Bourdain, if you can't even roast a chicken properly you shouldn't be in the kitchen in the first place. Luckily I normally get my meat from the butchers but I won't be buying anything from the co-op on principle. Have they thought of the environmental effects either?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I gave up on the Co-op years ago. Poor quality goods, expensive and as for the staff .... well .... slow doesn't even begin to describe them.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The Co-op where I live is somewhere to be avoided anyway - half empty shelves, minimal staff (on my last visit they were so understaffed they couldn't even open the self checkouts because there weren't enough staff to have someone standing near them), and generally disinterested staff at that. The whole place just looked a mess, so I went to Lidl instead.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Losing £700m in a year wasn't enough to stop you?

That was banking. The food side earned £247m profits before one-offs and impairments. But why would their losses stop one-off customers? It's not like a weekly shop is a long-term investment with risks. I reckon right now, if I was minded to find the best bargains food-wise it would be with Tescos who are desperate to rebuild their customer base.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My nearest co-open is over the bridge of a canal, and I avoid it as much as possible, usually until I forget what's quite within. The shelves are stacked, but often with products they hope will rival Costcutters for being precariously at the end if their saleable lives and some twice the price of the reasonable offal from Tesco around the corner.
It saddens me sometimes in my cornershop costcutters when the more elderly fill their plastic baskets with stock either because of ancient trust in that nearby or thanks to not being able to make it any further.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Pentrebach Co-Op is probably the single most depressing shop I've ever been in. I'm sensing a theme here.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I used to work in the Saltdean Co-Op when I was growing up- they are generally very grotty stores, agree with above depressing places to visit especially if you spent a few years of Saturday and Sunday mornings working in them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
do we need a poll on which supermarket is for the working classess?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ive got my funeral booked with them im not sure if popping me in a oven ready bag will be cost effective

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Perfect excuse to add additional water which adds to the weight & therefore their profit.

UH0wZS2.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here