Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami says...............Express Yourself.....................

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Brighton & Hove Albion boss Sami Hyypia has told his players to go and express themselves on the pitch and leave the thinking to him ahead of Saturday’s trip to Norwich City.
Hyypia says he will take care of the mental side of the game and just wants his squad to focus on performing and showing their quality on the pitch.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “The players should leave the thinking to me, as I don’t want them to think much about the situation.
“The break has been very important mentally and physically. Most of the players are young and should be able to cope with the recovery, but the mental break is perhaps more important.
“At this time it is very good to have a few days off and for the players to do something totally different than football.
“If I had a few days off in the international break then it would be good for me to think of something else, but I’m constantly thinking of how I can do my job better to benefit the team.
“It is up to me to think about whether I could change my approach. The players should leave the thinking to me and have trust in their own skills and quality.”

The Albion boss is also taking little notice of Norwich’s current league form and has urged his side to be on top form defensively - as he feels they pose one of the Championship's biggest attacking threats.
“I cannot say why they haven’t won enough points to be top of the league, because I haven’t seen many of Norwich’s games.
“When you come down from the Premier League and are favourites to be top again, then teams probably have an added energy to do well against you.
“What I do know is the offensive side of their game is very good and they try to play with high tempo, creating a number of chances.
“Defensively we have to be on top of our game to play against them. It’s very important that we start the game well and gain confidence to dominate the game.
“We need to play with the kind of intensity that if we lose the ball, then we are aggressive to win it back straight away. That is very important.
“I’m a big believer in repetition. If you repeat an action many times then it becomes easier for you and you can be more relaxed in that situation when it comes to the game.”

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Is it just me that is massively worried by this?

"The players should leave the thinking to me, as I don’t want them to think much about the situation"

Is a tad worrying yes, I would have thought the players should be worried about the situation be it in the game or in the table.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not massively worried, just a bit meh. Statements of the bleeding obvious, mostly, but wouldn't have expected much else.

Lego-Stand

Nov 6, 2003
“I cannot say why they haven’t won enough points to be top of the league, because I haven’t seen many of Norwich’s games.

Brilliant

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
"The players should leave the thinking to me, as I don’t want them to think much about the situation"

Taken in isolation this sounds to me like players have been questioning him on his interpretation of "the situation" on the pitch, either during a game or after and offering their own.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It’s very important that we start the game well and gain confidence to dominate the game

Concede early and we're fked then

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Taken in isolation this sounds to me like players have been questioning him on his interpretation of "the situation" on the pitch, either during a game or after and offering their own.

Particularly so if you then add in "it's up to me to think about whether I should change my approach".

Taken together, the two sentences could translate as "the players aren't happy with the tactics I've been playing and have told me so. It's not their call; it's mine". The fact that we've taken 4 points out of the last 2 games, when he did play the full backs in a more traditional role, might indicate that he's been persuaded. I guess we'll find out tomorrow...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Particularly so if you then add in "it's up to me to think about whether I should change my approach".

Taken together, the two sentences could translate as "the players aren't happy with the tactics I've been playing and have told me so. It's not their call; it's mine". The fact that we've taken 4 points out of the last 2 games, when he did play the full backs in a more traditional role, might indicate that he's been persuaded. I guess we'll find out tomorrow...

Bingo

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Does "Go out and express yourself" actually mean anything to your average player ? To me it just means run around, kick the ball, pass to your own side and don't make cock-ups.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Express yourself?

Just score goals and don't let any it. Can we start with the basics please?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Doesn't sound like he was saying anything more than encouraging them to play with a creative mindset and without fear. Nothing wrong with that.

Come on now, play the game. You know on here when anyone remotely linked to the club makes any kind of statement or comment, it is our job , nay duty, to put the worst possible spin on it. Sami is obviously saying he doesn't want the players to be at all concerned when we inevitably go 4-0 down after 20 minutes, and that he couldn't be less concerned with our league position as he has been a secret life long Palace fan, and so has Tony Bloom, so he wont lose his job whatever happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here