Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

email etiquette

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
People, how do you start your emails? People who write 'Hi' should be removed from society with immediate affect, or at least deported to America.

Similarly, the sycophantics who sign off with 'Kind Regards', make me sick.

Yours,

Brighton TID

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
People, how do you start your emails? People who write 'Hi' should be removed from society with immediate affect, or at least deported to America.

Yours,

Brighton TID

Then I must confess to sometimes being a sycophant who should be deported with immediate effect. How do you feel about people who point out typographical errors? :smile:

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Hi TID, are you having a bad day?

No, its just with letter writing, there have been rules laid down for centuries, eg start with "Dear Mr (name)", and therefore, sign off with "Yours sincerely,").

With email, it seems to be a free for all and the kids seem to be leading the way with their bollox speak.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Then I must confess to sometimes being a sycophant who should be deported with immediate effect. How do you feel about people who point out typographical errors? :smile:

Hi Goldtone1976.

See, you immediately get the impression that I am gay, even though I love ladies.

I actually work with somebody who writes "Hiya".

****sake

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
No, its just with letter writing, there have been rules laid down for centuries, eg start with "Dear Mr (name)", and therefore, sign off with "Yours sincerely,").

With email, it seems to be a free for all and the kids seem to be leading the way with their bollox speak.

Surely it depends on the context though? If I'm emailing a friend about something briefly, or quickly shooting something off to someone at work (where we have a very informal atmosphere), then starting with "Hi X" is fine. If I'm emailing someone in a more formal context then I would think about starting it with Dear Mr Surname.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hi Goldtone1976.

See, you immediately get the impression that I am gay, even though I love ladies.

I actually work with somebody who writes "Hiya".

****sake

I'm with you 100% on "Hiya". Deportation is too good for them, for sure. Now I think of it, so's hanging.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

But emails are not letters?

KIND REGARDS!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Hi works well as an email greeting. What else are you going to put? Even the offshore Indian kiddies are comfortable with it.

Personally a big fan of the offshore sign off 'Please do the needful' :lol:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

I think 'Hi' and 'Kind regards' are the rules for emails.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
From the IT Crowd...

Moss sending an e-mail to the fire department because he can't remember the number.
"Subject: Fire. Dear Sir/Madam, I am writing to inform you of a fire that has broken out on the premises of 123 Cavendon Road..."
"No no. Too formal." deletes.
"Fire Exclamation Mark Fire Exclamation Mark Help me Exclamation Mark 123 Cavendon Road. Looking forward to hearing from you. Yours truly, Maurice Moss".

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
That would be most NHS Trust's/CCG's/CSU's as we HAVE to have that on our email signatures. :p

Kind Regards.

"Regards" means a sentimental expression of good wishes. Therefore, why add the "Kind".
Its just sycophantic verbal garnish.

Kind "good wishes".

Flannel

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

Yours,

Brighton TID

Hi,

I couldn't give a shit what you think.

Kind regards,

Rob.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here