Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever...

Have you ever called a Chinaman a 'chink'?

• Yes, I have.

Votes: 140 63.1%
  • No, I have not.

Votes: 82 36.9%

• Total voters

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Called 'a Chinaman a chink'?

Following on from Dave Whelan's comments - 'If any Englishman said he has never called a Chinaman a 'chink' he is lying." Thought this might prove an interesting poll. I've set it as private for anyone who might be worried.

Should be noted that Whelan has since apologised for his remarks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I voted YES. Common parlance in the playground, when you were about 8.

Not as a grown up though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I need to change my vote; I voted "no", but on reading HKFC's post, I realise I'm in exactly the same position. Last time I used it to describe a person was probably aged 11 or 12.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Yes !
What's happened to freedom of speech ? Non existent now . What Whelan allegedly said is what most people say a lot of the time , the Jews are money grabbing people and good for them it has made many of them successful business people . Pathetic really even to be talking about it , but again someone who hasn't got anything to do notices it and makes it headline news .

Why is it we have to be careful what we say these days ? If someone called me fat , gay or a white ******* , I wouldn't give a damn , I would say something back not take them to court .

Why are we so sensitive ??? Why make a fuss ???

Rant over !

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, many years ago, but not in a derogatory sense. It was normal back then - just a slang word for Chinese people.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I voted YES. Common parlance in the playground, when you were about 8.

Not as a grown up though.

And that's about the same thoughts I had.
I was great friends with a Chinese girl at school, and whilst it wasn't a commonly used phrase, it was certainly spoken on occasions, though from what I recall, never in malice.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My Dad has a real gripe about Jews, I am not sure where it comes from and he wouldnt personally insult anyone publicly.

He was brought up a Catholic and grew up in Brighton during the war, although I am not aware of any particular gripe between those two communities, or perhaps just typical religious tribalism.

I have never asked why he is so adamantly anti semetic ( in modern parlance ), he seems to think they had the strangle hold over the rationed food during the war years so maybe thats the bases of his casual prejudice, he regularly reminded me to be careful of the 'Jews' during my business career too and sometimes I did wonder as 'they' did seem particularly driven and would have preferential partners in business !!

Thinking now, I usually refer to the Chinese takeaway as just that, although I used to use the term Chinky, but I cannot recall feeling the need to change the chinky term, I just have unthinkably changed my speak.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
My friend uses it to refer to getting a chinese, it makes me shudder. the first time I heard him mention it I thought he was trying to be funny, then when I realised he was deadly serious I just had to laugh. I told him he sounded like a dick and he didnt care. fair enough I suppose, however I think he now says it just to wind me up. OH THE BANTER.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Of course I have. I would have thought, though, that there are far more insulting remarks to be had in regards to the Chinese than "chinky", but I still wouldn't use the term now. In the 80's, my dad regularly said "fancy a chinky" for "a Chinese takeaway". I had one Chinese boy in my class in 1978, and it was his family who ran the only Chinese restaurant in the area. Proper pioneers they were. Hats off to them.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Yes !
What's happened to freedom of speech ? Non existent now . What Whelan allegedly said is what most people say a lot of the time , the Jews are money grabbing people and good for them it has made many of them successful business people . Pathetic really even to be talking about it , but again someone who hasn't got anything to do notices it and makes it headline news .

Why is it we have to be careful what we say these days ? If someone called me fat , gay or a white ******* , I wouldn't give a damn , I would say something back not take them to court .

Rant over !

You're not serious? It's called showing someone respect and not using racial slurs or stereotypes is part of that respect. If you don't understand that you really are living in the wrong century. And of course you wouldn't complain about being called a white *******, being called a white anything is so redundent because by being white (and a man) you were born with one of the biggest advantages going.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Yes !

Rant over !

Why make a fuss ? Might get some money out of it - that's why !

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I grew up and went to school with a mate who is half caste and we called him Woggy and I still see him now and call him Woggy as that is how everybody knew him in those days and there is no racial intent then as there is now. We are now both in our late 50's.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd go along with those who mentioned its use in school days, but from what I loosely recall I remember only someone else I knew in the small gang of Lewes Road 8-year olds I was part of hollering it for reaction and us being rightly chased down to North Road by a group of lads probably in fact Japanese, demonstrating all the more our general stupidity. I felt horribly guilty, in spite of not knowingly using the term itself. It's part of maturing at a very young age, I'd say, and realising quickly what's basically wrong when exposed to it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Great song by Blue Mink,Melting Pot .
For those too young to know,a big hit in 1969.
Some nowadays would consider the lyrics to be racist,but actually,the sentiment is the exact opposite.
Take a listen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here