Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you pay to go ad-free (not just NSC)?

Would you pay $1-3 per month to go ad-free?

• Yes I would

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • No, I'd keep the ads

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • I use an ad-blocker anyway

Votes: 24 24.0%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Google have launched "contributor" where for $1-3 per month, you will get to see ad-free pages, with the money you've paid being distributed amongst the sites you visit.

Would you do this, or are you happy to just suck up the ads?

https://www.google.com/contributor/welcome/

How it works

cost-graphic.png

Choose a monthly contribution.

From $1-3, you set your monthly amount. The more you contribute, the more you support the websites you visit.

example-use_2x.png
A pixel pattern appears where you would normally see an ad.
Alternately, you might see a thank you message.

Visit participating sites.

When you visit a participating website, part of your contribution goes to the creators of that site. As a reminder of your support, you’ll see a thank you message - often accompanied by a pixel pattern - where you might normally see an ad.

Support the people who make the web.

Here are a few of the partners joining us in this experiment.

• urban-dictionary.png
  • the-onion.png
  • science-daily.png
  • wiki-how.png
  • mashable.png
  • imgur.png

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
NSC is the only site I allow ads to run on, so no.

Likewise. Also, the guff in the Google blurb at the bottom of Bozza's post says that "part" of the contribution goes to the web sites you use. I suspect that a rather large "part" somehow would stay in Google's bank account. Just a guess, mind. So, what you're left with is a revenue-generating exercise for Google dressed up as "support the websites you use AND get rid of annoying ads. Can't say fairer than that, can we?"

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What ads? don't really notice them

Exactly.

If you [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] had gone down the route of full screen pop up ads and 'in thread' adds which appear on other forums, I'd be begging you to make it stop.

As it is, the ads aren't obtrusive and they do have one added bonus, like it or not, they mean we have to play nice. (well nicer).

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I only ever access via tapatalk so never see ads anyway. I would be happy to pay a small monthly fee to access NSC though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Maybe a way to make a donation could be an idea. If you want to keep the numbers you can't really charge for message boards

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The ads don't bother me at all.

Good - time to crank up the ad dial to 11.

Likewise. Also, the guff in the Google blurb at the bottom of Bozza's post says that "part" of the contribution goes to the web sites you use. I suspect that a rather large "part" somehow would stay in Google's bank account. Just a guess, mind. So, what you're left with is a revenue-generating exercise for Google dressed up as "support the websites you use AND get rid of annoying ads. Can't say fairer than that, can we?"

Is that really any different to the ads we have. Google do VERY well out of those?

Exactly.

If you @Bozza had gone down the route of full screen pop up ads and 'in thread' adds which appear on other forums, I'd be begging you to make it stop.

As it is, the ads aren't obtrusive and they do have one added bonus, like it or not, they mean we have to play nice. (well nicer).

You might want to view the site when not logged in - it's a slightly different experience!

I only ever access via tapatalk so never see ads anyway. I would be happy to pay a small monthly fee to access NSC though.

Tapatalk have started to include ads which NSC does benefit from, but it's a pittance compared to the revenue derived from Google.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The ad's on here are rather unobtrusive and as such i wouldn't pay for this. However when i am on here but haven't logged in its a different experience, for example the second post is an Ad. Other sites (the Argus for example) it can be rather oppressive but i guess you put up with it.

I would suggest that us, the registered users of NSC are less likely to say yes than the silent majority who surf but don't register as their experience is more ad heavy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It depends on the ads, as has been said the ads on NSC are very unobtrusive and rarely have any impact on using the site. Some sites are ridiculous though, especially those ads which increase in size when (nearly always accidentally) hover the mouse over them or when they follow you down the page when you scroll. Even worse are the ads which massively increase the loading time of a page, which is especially annoying on badly designed sites where the ads are the first things that have to load so you cannot even look at the content until the ads are there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here