Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

peanut butter for troubled hounds

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Now I'm not one to snipe at charitability, but my workplace this year has chosen Battersea Dogs Home as its Christmas charity. A perfectly reasonable place to donate to in times of affluence, but I am not wholly sure it's entirely appropriate in hours of continuous human need. I recall about five years ago we collectively gave to some sort of horse refuge. There must be someone high up where I am that loves beasts the most, in an unbestial way. I wonder who it is.
In the donations box by my office's lift each day I notice a gcse York Notes for Midsummer Nights Dream and a sealed jar of Tesco own brand peanut butter. Probably useful, but I don't know why. Do toothless canines feel becalmed by the teachings of the literary greats whilst supping on a winter evening's tankard of steaming peanut butter brew?

Anyone else wonder over the choice of their work's Christmas charity?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No, but I would normally - if not always - give to human rather than animal charities. Just watching the panorama (?)programme this week about the Ebola centre in west Africa run by medicins sans frontieres was enough to keep me on that track.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
No, but I would normally - if not always - give to human rather than animal charities. Just watching the panorama (?)programme this week about the Ebola centre in west Africa run by medicins sans frontieres was enough to keep me on that track.

I have almost exactly the reverse position. I tend to favour animal charities over those involving people but not exclusively. I take the view that animals have no means of articulating their plight so I tend to side with them. Accordingly I am running the Brighton Half Marathon in February on behalf of Save the Rhino International, as this animal could be facing its worst ever year for deaths through poaching. I am well aware that I could have selected any number of hugely worthy charities.

I know there is an almost limitless well of human suffering that compels us to donate to charity but it's a personal thing. I hope it's not too offensive.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I feel the same as jimhigham. I'd always donate to an animal charity over something going on in the world. Animals can't talk for themselves, and many are so badly mistreated. Hate the thought of anyone abusing an animal because it can't fight back or speak out. Makes me far angrier than any appeal for a humanitarian charity on TV. Plus you know that, in the main at least, any donation to an animal charity is going to actually get to the animals concerned, whereas sending your pennies to help people in a corrupt African state could (and I stress the word could), end up in some despots back pocket.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I feel the same as jimhigham. I'd always donate to an animal charity over something going on in the world. Animals can't talk for themselves, and many are so badly mistreated. Hate the thought of anyone abusing an animal because it can't fight back or speak out. Makes me far angrier than any appeal for a humanitarian charity on TV. Plus you know that, in the main at least, any donation to an animal charity is going to actually get to the animals concerned, whereas sending your pennies to help people in a corrupt African state could (and I stress the word could), end up in some despots back pocket.

Maybe someone should let Dave Whelan know about this. It sounds like these animals are money obsessed. You never see them in tesco or down the pub, so what do they spend it on ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have almost exactly the reverse position. I tend to favour animal charities over those involving people but not exclusively. I take the view that animals have no means of articulating their plight so I tend to side with them. Accordingly I am running the Brighton Half Marathon in February on behalf of Save the Rhino International, as this animal could be facing its worst ever year for deaths through poaching. I am well aware that I could have selected any number of hugely worthy charities.

I know there is an almost limitless well of human suffering that compels us to donate to charity but it's a personal thing. I hope it's not too offensive.

It's not offensive at all. Each to his own. I donate to human charities partly because others do animal charities.

And that sounds a more worthy cause than many. Respect!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here