Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One of Brighton's most popular shopping street could be closed to traffic at the weekends

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"East Street in The Lanes could be closed to cars in an experimental proposal being put to Brighton and Hove City Council, after calls from traders and opposition councillors

New plans put forward by the council call for an 11am to 7pm closure to cars on Saturdays and Sundays and, if passed, the trial period would last no longer than 18 months

Experts say that most businesses in pedestrianised areas report an increase in profits compared to those outside those zones. The trial will share the benefits of pedestrianisation experienced by other parts of the Old Town, with East Street traders too.”

Thoughts?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Isn't that the street which has a taxi rank at the end of it? Thought it was already a no through road.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bloody good idea.

It's a no through road from North Street, but you can get to it from Ship Street, CRF.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
What are they gonna do with the traffic coming down Prince Albert St? Hope they remember to close that too as it's one way.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Pretty sure most of east street is pedestrian already but would help businesses further if roads around it were closed off. Bit like George St Hove which is closed to cars during the day.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It'll still be 'one of Brighton's most popular shopping streets'. It just won't be accessible to the selfish single occupant of a tin box doing a rat-run. All good! :clap2:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
At present, seeing as East Street at the southern end is blocked off, you drive down East Street and turn right at the Pitcher and Piano, and come out between the Queens Hotel and the Thistle. The get-roundable sticking problem appears to be where traffic which would use East Street goes. The most viable option is via Little East Street, which seems to be possible.

If that can be sorted, traders want it, councillors want it, it will de-clutter the street - great, bring it on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
pretty sensible. not that you get alot of traffic down there and what there is seems to know who's in charge.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
One of Brighton's most most popular shopping streets....seriously? There's bugger all there except that shop with the sewing machines in the window selling jeans for £75 a pair or Indian Summer, selling main courses at £75 a pop.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Good idea, kinda feels like it's pedestrianised now and it can be a bit of a surprise when a car or lorry comes down the street and your in the middle of the road!!!

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Sounds like a great idea. Now lets have a cycle lane all the way along the Old Shoreham Rd.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Surely no one can be opposed to this? Because surely even the most fanatical petrolhead has noticed that the tendency is for city and town centres to be pedestrianised? It's not as if it's on the way to anywhere and even THPP (who is nearly always wrong on these issues) is right for once. The next road they can look at pedestrianising is that one that runs past the pub called 'The Office'. Don't know the name but it runs from Trafalgar Street down towards the old Argus building (left) and Kensington Gardens (right)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surely no one can be opposed to this? Because surely even the most fanatical petrolhead has noticed that the tendency is for city and town centres to be pedestrianised? It's not as if it's on the way to anywhere and even THPP (who is nearly always wrong on these issues) is right for once. The next road they can look at pedestrianising is that one that runs past the pub called 'The Office'. Don't know the name but it runs from Trafalgar Street down towards the old Argus building (left) and Kensington Gardens (right)

Sidney Street

Yes, there are a few streets in North Laine that could do with being pedestrianised- they're so crowded sometimes that it seems they already are.

The East Street one is interesting: the pressure for it is coming from the shop owners, giving the lie to the idea that banning cars is bad for business

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
One of Brighton's most most popular shopping streets....seriously? There's bugger all there except that shop with the sewing machines in the window selling jeans for £75 a pair or Indian Summer, selling main courses at £75 a pop.

This was my thought. I don't think I've been down that road since they closed the canon cinema. I used to enjoy the reject shop because they had funky gadgets, but at some point it started to do expensive high end stuff instead and stopped being fun to wander round on my way to watch a film. I honestly can't remember using it since then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here