Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy Hill

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Heard a piece on the radio yesterday about his wife and her struggle since Jimmy was diagnosed with dementia 7 years ago.

Very sad to hear that he no longer recognizes his family and is now living in a care home in Hurstpierpoint.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Very sad indeed, my grandpa suffered with dementia for his last few years and rarely recognised family visiting him, you just have to try and remember them as they were before.

Jimmy Hill is a top bloke too, I spent a summer working in a cafe in Hurstpierpoint and he used to come in with his wife, he was always friendly and chatty. And yes, his chin really is that big.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is sad. On a positive note he would have loved the way England walloped the Jocks on Tuesday night.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sad news indeed. I remember seeing him on many occasions when he came along to watch the Albion at Withdean with his good mate Des Lynam, not so many years ago.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The way the elderly, especially those with dementia, are treated in this country is a national embarrassment.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Love him or hate him Jimmy did a huge amount of good for the game he loved. So sad he's ended up in this condition.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Love him or hate him Jimmy did a huge amount of good for the game he loved. So sad he's ended up in this condition.

Sad for anybody who ends up with it. My granny suffered from Alzheimer's, and it's a cruel, cruel disease.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Terrible news, I met him about three years ago at Worthing FC, he was the president of Corinthian Casuals. Even then he wasn't in great shape but attended the game and was happy to say hello to everyone. When I saw the thread I was expecting the worst, and in a way this was just as bad.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
It was a very moving interview with Bryony his wife. So sad but Jimmy just lives in the present with no memory. He does not know his wife but likes it when she gives him a kiss and cuddle but as Bryony leaves the room she can see he has no recollection of her visit. He does like singing though Dementia is so cruel for the sufferer and family.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's a cruel, terrible thing to have to suffer.

My granddad suffers with it - it's gutting to see a once bright, confident man become a shadow of that as his dementia worsens. Not something i'd wish on anyone.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Jimmy Hill pretty much single-handedly invented just about everything that sets modern football aside from what it was before he got involved in the administrative side of the game - there was a fascinating When Saturday Comes article to that effect a few years back. Big player salaries, all-seater grounds, pre-match music, glossy magazine-style programmes, even TV coverage with panelists discussing matches: he came up with the lot and loads more besides that I've forgotten.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Sad for anybody who ends up with it. My granny suffered from Alzheimer's, and it's a cruel, cruel disease.

I should have made it clear I thought it sad for anybody to suffer - my Gran also ended up with Alzheimer's and was a complete wreck of a person by the time she mercifully died.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"I don't want to hear it called the Professional foul........... It should be called the Cynical foul...... Nothing professional about it"

Good old Jimmy.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Jimmy Hill pretty much single-handedly invented just about everything that sets modern football aside from what it was before he got involved in the administrative side of the game - there was a fascinating When Saturday Comes article to that effect a few years back. Big player salaries, all-seater grounds, pre-match music, glossy magazine-style programmes, even TV coverage with panelists discussing matches: he came up with the lot and loads more besides that I've forgotten.

Very influential broadcaster for both BBC and ITV. He was behind 3 points for a win, critical in encouraging more attacking football. Did he also have a role in changing the pass-back rule?

PG

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can you imagine anything like this happening now? :lol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Six years ago, Alzheimer’s took my Mum. I have recovered from her leaving us, but to this day I have never recovered from what it did to her. Even seeing a thread that talks about it can be upsetting, but I realise how important it is that we do talk about it.

People are living longer, and dementia is a legacy of that. Society talks more about it, but there is still an element of taboo. As a result many folks suffer in silence. Both victim and, often lone, carer.

I haven’t seen the piece with Jimmy’s wife, and probably shouldn’t. Suffice to say my heart goes out to her, and all who are affected by this, in whatever way.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Never knew this. So sad and what an awful way to see out your life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here