Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did the ALLLLLLLBBBIIIIIERRRN ALLBIIIERRRN chant start?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Purely out of curiosity...

If you look at older videos of the ALLLLLLLBIIIERRRN, that chant isn't in them, when did it start?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The genesis of the chant can be more accurately linked to the phasing out of gents wearing flat caps when spectating at games. While flat caps were en vogue, the chant was 'Play up Albion.' As flat cap wearing began to wither, a more rumbustuous type of fan started attending games, and the mentioned pronunciation challenging 'Al-be-ern...' effort (sadly) became the norm...

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Don't know, but half of my Uni course chant it at me on nights out/Brighton the city is mentioned/I walk into the building.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
The genesis of the chant can be more accurately linked to the phasing out of gents wearing flat caps when spectating at games. While flat caps were en vogue, the chant was 'Play up Albion.' As flat cap wearing began to wither, a more rumbustuous type of fan started attending games, and the mentioned pronunciation challenging 'Al-be-ern...' effort (sadly) became the norm...

"Play up the Hove!" surely.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Early 2000s.
In the latter Goldstone years we sung AL-bi-on, AL-bi-on, AL-bi-on in the same way Liverpool sung LI-ver-pool, LI-ver-pool, LI-ver-pool.

Liverpool then started the Liiiiiiiiiiiverrrrrrpoooool, Liiiiiiiiiiiverrrrrrpoooool chant with the elongated first syllable and we followed suit.

Early 2000s.
In the latter Goldstone years we sung AL-bi-on, AL-bi-on, AL-bi-on in the same way Liverpool sung LI-ver-pool, LI-ver-pool, LI-ver-pool.

Liverpool then started the Liiiiiiiiiiiverrrrrrpoooool, Liiiiiiiiiiiverrrrrrpoooool chant with the elongated first syllable and we followed suit.
This.

Like many Albion chants, it was stolen off the telly.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I 1st heard it sung by Orient fans (their version, of course) & I believe we nicked it from them.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Early 2000s.

I would suggest the slow version always existed, at least in my Albion supporting career, since the 70's when it was only ever used once or twice per game via the old West Stand.

It only became the most commonly used chant at Withdean when creating any kind of atmosphere was high on impossible, and the slow, dull nature of 'Aaalbiiiooon Aaalbiiiooon' allowed fans to unite behind the team without the benefit of a roof.

It should now be reserved for use by the WSL so that we will only hear it twice per season.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I would suggest the slow version always existed, at least in my Albion supporting career, since the 70's when it was only ever used once or twice per game via the old West Stand.

It only became the most commonly used chant at Withdean when creating any kind of atmosphere was high on impossible, and the slow, dull nature of 'Aaalbiiiooon Aaalbiiiooon' allowed fans to unite behind the team without the benefit of a roof.

It should now be reserved for use by the WSL so that we will only hear it twice per season.
Nope, never heard it in the 70's and 80's..... that's for sure.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, I don't quite understand this 'started in the 2000s' bit. I never remember hearing it at Withdean and thinking "That's new". It may have fallen into abeyance a bit but I'm 99.99% certain we used it at the Goldstone in the 1970s

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Well that's weird. One of us is a senile old git!
A good test would be to go over the old cup final footage, I wouldn't mind betting its not in there.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here