Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withnail and I appreciation thread

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Editors-Pick-Withnail-and-I1-e1383056079524.jpg

Has anyone on NSC not seen this film before?
Simple story, brilliant characters and more memorable lines then you can poke a stick at!

Monty: Do you like vegetables? I've always been fond of root crops but I only started to grow last summer. I happen to think the cauliflower more beautiful than the rose. Do you grow?

Withnail: Geraniums.

Monty: Oh, you little traitors. I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain 'je ne sais quoi' oh so very special about a firm, young carrot.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Can't think of a film with a better script, and so warm and genuine. And I don't say this too often, very British too. In a good way.

PS I appreciate the film, and appreciate the thread.

Jul 7, 2003
I have never seen this film. I'm not a great film watcher but its just one of those I've never got round to seeing.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I f--k arses? Who f--ks arses? Maybe he f--ks arses! Maybe he's written this in some moment of drunken sincerity! I'm in considerable danger here, I must get out of here at once.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Withnail: Are you the farmer?

I: Shut up, I'll deal with this.

Withnail: We've gone on holiday by mistake. We're in this cottage here. Are you the farmer?

I: Stop saying that Withnail, of course he's the f--king farmer!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Wonderful film. The final monologue turns the film on its head.

Carefully written to avoid spoilers for the uninitiated.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here