Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iconic Roles and Actors

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Watching a documentary abut the late great Norman Wisdom the other day, I didn't know that he was one of the original choices for Frank Spencer in "Some Mothers Do Have 'Em" but he turned it down, as did Ronnie Barker before Michael Crawford got the role. I also know Jim Broadbent was the original choice for Del-Boy in OFAH before David Jason got it.

Any other iconic roles that were meant for an actor that didn't end up playing it?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are loads of these: ones I found out the other day were in Dad's Army. Mainwaring was supposed to have been played by Jon Pertwee and Jones by Jack Haig - hard now to think of anyone else in those roles

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Laurence Olivier was originally slated for Brando's Vito Corleone in The Godfather

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Danny La Rue was asked to play Minder but turned it down; Dennis Waterman stepped in.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I haven't got my glasses on so I read that as Islamic roles and actors

Laurence Olivier as the mad Mahdi in the film Gordon ( of Khartoum)

There are loads of these: ones I found out the other day were in Dad's Army. Mainwaring was supposed to have been played by Jon Pertwee and Jones by Jack Haig - hard now to think of anyone else in those roles

Also read (probably Wikipedia so it must be correct) that David Jason was considered as Corporal Jones in Dad's Army, also that due to him appearing in "Do Not Adjust Your Set" (anyone old enough to recall that) he was almost a member of the Monty Python team.

Trivia fans - although Jim Broadbent missed out on being "Del Boy" which occcasional character did he play in OFAH?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Also read (probably Wikipedia so it must be correct) that David Jason was considered as Corporal Jones in Dad's Army, also that due to him appearing in "Do Not Adjust Your Set" (anyone old enough to recall that) he was almost a member of the Monty Python team.

Trivia fans - although Jim Broadbent missed out on being "Del Boy" which occcasional character did he play in OFAH?

Roy Slater. John Challis (who ended up as Boycie) was also considered.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Peter Sellers was first choice for Fagin in Lionel Bart's Oliver. Ron Moody who ended up in the role, was third or fourth choice.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Also at one time it was intended for Arthur Lowe to play the sergeant and John le Mesurier to be Captain Mainwaring - stroke of genius to switch them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Also at one time it was intended for Arthur Lowe to play the sergeant and John le Mesurier to be Captain Mainwaring - stroke of genius to switch them.

Almost correct. The plan was for Lowe's Mainwaring to be a bit wet and for Le Mesurier to be the bolshy, loud sergeant, well that's what I heard. Croft and Perry did go back to the original idea though with It Ain't Half Hot Mum In which we had a rather dippy Captain Ashwood and our bombastic Sgt. Major Williams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here