Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Landlords will be able to buy their beer on the open market...

I'm sure plenty of others with far more in-depth knowledge will have their say, but on the face of it to me it looks like a result for publicans. No wonder the Pub Cos are upset, but with most squeezing the pips, and a few liquidators allowed to masquerade as Pub Cos, it's hardly surprising that there's been something of a revolt.

I'm not sure this could be anything other than good for the Pub trade.

*awaits BG to tell us to the contrary*

He used to be Publican, but doesn't talk about it much.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
To keep the customer satisfied pubs should be able to order what they want.

Before, if the tied brewery did not deliver what the customer wanted the contract/practice used to allow the landlord to order from elsewhere. But this was only normally used when out of stock.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Great result for publicans. Many pub cos make it almost impossible for landlords to survive with their extortionate pricing for beer that's much cheaper on the open market.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Thread title is a bit misleading (not that you'll have to worry about modding!). The Commons has voted in favour of this measure, which means it should eventually receive Royal Assent. However, it is not yet the law, so for the time being landlords are stuck with their tie-ins.

This could be a godsend for real ale drinkers and local breweries. A lot of publicans I speak to would like to get in a better range of local beers but are prevented from doing so by the Pub Co.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Will be brilliant for local village pubs for sure. One in our village has closed, the other has been a train wreck for the last 5 years or so. The local free houses have done OK of late, but then they're buying their beer at a vastly lower price.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is a down side. It means managed pubs are more likely. With a bit of luck the pub chains will sell off their smaller pubs as a going concern, but they might sell for housing?

But for me, I know of a plenty of pubs let down by the choice and standard of their beers and ciders, more than nine out of ten. But some of these are free houses.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...ending the very long running 'tie' that many pubs operate under.

The Pub Cos say this will result in widespread pub closures and job losses".

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30110742

Given the ridiculous increase in new breweries, the huge increase in general interest and the huge increase in beer demand I'm struggling to understand how this will result in widespread closures? It might result in less sales for the big breweries and Pub Cos moving on some of their inventory to other smaller companies or independent landlords, but "widespread pub closures and job losses" no chance. This is great news.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is a down side. It means managed pubs are more likely. With a bit of luck the pub chains will sell off their smaller pubs as a going concern, but they might sell for housing?

But for me, I know of a plenty of pubs let down by the choice and standard of their beers and ciders, more than nine out of ten. But some of these are free houses.

Am I correct in thinking, generally, there is only value in "selling for housing" if the building can be demolished and new housing built in its place? Ie the site is of value not the actual building? If so, a few will go this way but I doubt it will be the majority.

The Pub Cos believe (with some justification) that they are the most powerful players in the industry. They therefore feel confident in threatening their opponents with dire consequences, should there be any threat to the status quo. That's what's happening now.

We can't just sit back and wait for a better industry to just happen, though. The Pub Cos will be busting a gut to ensure that times get hard for pub landlords. It's what has motivated Pub Cos for years. It's not going to change now.

Am I correct in thinking, generally, there is only value in "selling for housing" if the building can be demolished and new housing built in its place? Ie the site is of value not the actual building? If so, a few will go this way but I doubt it will be the majority.

Not the case in our village (Alfold). Green King sold the Crown to a developer for approx. £340k who obtained planning permission for change of use and conversion into two dwellings. The building and grounds were then immediately sold on "as-is" for a total or £695k. Same situation for the other five pubs nr Cranleigh/Rudgwick that have been de-licensed since we've lived in the area.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It opens the door for decent ciders* available on tap in every pub

*Not Strongbow, or those foul fruity concoctions that have the temerity to call themselves 'Cider'.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Given the ridiculous increase in new breweries, the huge increase in general interest and the huge increase in beer demand I'm struggling to understand how this will result in widespread closures? It might result in less sales for the big breweries and Pub Cos moving on some of their inventory to other smaller companies or independent landlords, but "widespread pub closures and job losses" no chance. This is great news.

I'm no expert but I thought the same thing.

It reminds me of the gas and electricity companies saying the lights could go out any time they are questioned about their profits.

I can't see how this can be anything but good news for everyone bar the unscrupulous Pub Cos (which is by no means all of them) and the industrial piss in glass brewers. **** 'em.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

*Not Strongbow, or those foul fruity concoctions that have the temerity to call themselves 'Cider'.

My friends who use to run a pubco pub in our village said cider was one of the things they could source from anywhere, so long as they had one of the fizzy versions also on. Likewise with their wine I believe. It really was the beer that they were screwed on, paying double what the local freehouse was paying for Harveys for example, and Harveys already is just about the most expensive beer of that type out there.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
No, they can apply for 'Change of use'. Indeed a lot of the closures and conversion I know of have been like that. It tends to be the bigger ones (with car parks and/or gardens) that have been knocked down and the site re-developed.

Edit: I see Mr Oo Oo has also pointed this out.

lBYMA.png

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
...ending the very long running 'tie' that many pubs operate under.

The Pub Cos say this will result in widespread pub closures and job losses".

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30110742

The PubCos' attitudes and business models already result in widespread pub closures and job losses. So what are they worried about? It seems like they should be rubbing their hands at more of the same.

Fact is, it means that the days of their monopoly on grand extortion are finally numbered.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here