Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball deal sets new salary benchmark

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Giancarlo Stanton has agreed the most expensive ever deal in United States sport by signing a £208m ($325m) 13-year contract with Miami Marlins.

It's around £300k a week I believe.

Who said we were paying footballers too much. Poor loves. How can they compete?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/baseball/30092995

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Giancarlo Stanton has agreed the most expensive ever deal in United States sport by signing a £208m ($325m) 13-year contract with Miami Marlins.

It's around £300k a week I believe.

Who said we were paying footballers too much. Poor loves. How can they compete?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/baseball/30092995

There are footballers out there who earn £300,000 per week (Cristiano Ronaldo? Isn't Wayne Rooney painfully close to that sort of figure too?)

Probably not on thirteen year contracts though :ohmy:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Baseball runs from March to September I believe, not bad, 7 months work a year. If you can call it work! :ohmy:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Spends a good deal of the game sitting on his @rse as well.

Stupid American pastimes!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There are footballers out there who earn £300,000 per week (Cristiano Ronaldo? Isn't Wayne Rooney painfully close to that sort of figure too?)

Probably not on thirteen year contracts though :ohmy:

I know what you mean. 13 years! 13 bloody years!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know what you mean. 13 years! 13 bloody years!

Even Pardew didn't get that long.

Baseball's amazing, there are some seriously tubby blokes playing it, so it doesn't appear you have to be particularly fit to do it. They do play a lot more games than footballers do, but then again they must spend half of that time sat on their backsides. Phenomenal salaries. Still, talent is talent in any field, and I guess he hits more balls than most.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
13 years is far too long.

It's a whole 3 years longer than the 10 year contracts the Albion gave to Foster and Lawrenson.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Baseball's amazing, there are some seriously tubby blokes playing it, so it doesn't appear you have to be particularly fit to do it. They do play a lot more games than footballers do, but then again they must spend half of that time sat on their backsides. Phenomenal salaries. Still, talent is talent in any field, and I guess he hits more balls than most.

I went to see a baseball match in New York last year and couldn't believe how CHUBBY they were, half of them seem to get out because they simply can't run to first base.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Baseball runs from March to September I believe, not bad, 7 months work a year. If you can call it work! :ohmy:

There are 162 games in the regular season, and a potential 20 games in the post-season. Then there's the pre-season with typically 25-30 games, so players have to be prepared to get suited up for 200-odd gametime action, plus training.

Then there's the constant flying and the fact the USA is 2,500 miles wide.

Players like Rooney will be getting to see their families daily, with plenty of time off after training in the afternoon. These baseball players at the top level are basically consigning regular family life to the dustbin. Yes, they are well-paid but the likes of Derek Jeter and Miguel Cabrera are PROPER role models and deserve what they get.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
There are 162 games in the regular season, and a potential 20 games in the post-season. Then there's the pre-season with typically 25-30 games, so players have to be prepared to get suited up for 200-odd gametime action, plus training.

Players like Rooney will be getting to see their families daily, with plenty of time off after training in the afternoon. These baseball players at the top level are basically consigning regular family life to the dustbin. Yes, they are well-paid but the likes of Derek Jeter and Miguel Cabrera are PROPER role models and deserve what they get.

Ok, fair do's, that is a lot of games. However, they play in divisions split across the USA, they are not travelling from one end of the country to another every game. They play 3 or 5 games at a time, so that they don't have to keep travelling home/away to the same place through the season. They travel first class. On 300k a week they can afford to take their families with them and take a private tutor along for the kids if they wish! Easy money! :)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Stanton is utterly amazing. Awesome, even, as Americans would probably say. The home runs he hits travel astonishing distances and his achievements are all the more remarkable for the fact that he plays half his 162 games per season in a home park that favours pitching over hitting. And he's only 25.

Odd fact - when he made his debut a few yaers ago he was called Mike, but then let it be known that he wanted to be called Giancarlo. I suppose when you can hit a ball 400 feet in your sleep you can call yourself anything you like.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
John Barnes signed a 10 year contract with Liverpool for ten grand a week back in the day

He must have been kicking himself around year five when all the top player's wages began outstripping his :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The highest paid athlete of all time was a Roman chariot racer called Gaius Appuleius Diocles. Adjusted for inflation, his career earnings would amount to around $15 billion.

Discovered by Davidus Burkus, I believe.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What gets me is that the Marlins aren't even any good. I would have thought they'd be better off getting a few players in to improve their squad. Stanton can't do it on his own and as the Giants proved in the World Series, the best pitcher is worth more.

Look at what David Robertson gets paid just as a closer for the Yankees - better value I would say.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What gets me is that the Marlins aren't even any good. I would have thought they'd be better off getting a few players in to improve their squad. Stanton can't do it on his own and as the Giants proved in the World Series, the best pitcher is worth more.

Look at what David Robertson gets paid just as a closer for the Yankees - better value I would say.

As the Oakland A's proved over many seasons, closers aren't that hard to find. Funnily enough, the Marlins' cut-price closer Steve Cishek got 39 saves last season - exactly the same as David Robertson, who was paid around $2m more than Cishek.

And pitchers are more prone to injury - eg the Marlins' own ace Jose Fernandez. They're already pretty well-stocked with pitchers. But a slugger with Stanton's power, walk rate and defensive tools is a once-in-a-generation player. He's projected by the Baseball Prospectus PECOTA system to be twice as valuable over ten years as Albert Pujols was at the same stage.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Players like Rooney will be getting to see their families daily

Now you put it like that, is that really a life that any of us would want?

I mean, imagine having to talk to Coleen Rooney every day? :shootself:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Isn't there some kind of get out of clause after 6 years? sounds like a bit of an odd contract to be fair, sure they have no intention of paying him that salary when he is in his late 30's???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here