Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

womens bikes

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
the good lady wife has said she would like a bike for xmas amongst other things. Do any of you keen cyclists have any recommendations ? Budget of about 2/300 quid so was thinking best to go for a second hand one as opposed to a cheap new one. she would just be using it for pottering around with our daughter . cheers in advance

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Get yourself on the cycling geeks thread! Would probably agree that second hand is the best route at that price but be careful that it doesn't need a lot doing to it.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
A hybrid if your not riding off road, a mountain bike if you are. Stay clear of really cheap unknown brands, they're not worth the aggro.
If you have the time, seek the advice of these guys http://raymentcycles.com/ then use it to buy on Ebay or Gumtree.

There is a range of Pendleton women's bikes on sale at Halfords. They got a serious slagging off in the papers last weekend and seem to be well worth avoiding. I guess there must be a reason why a bottom of the market manufacturer throws money at an Olympic champion. What is a mystery is why an Olympic champion endorses tat.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
the good lady wife has said she would like a bike for xmas amongst other things. Do any of you keen cyclists have any recommendations ? Budget of about 2/300 quid so was thinking best to go for a second hand one as opposed to a cheap new one. she would just be using it for pottering around with our daughter . cheers in advance

Evans have some clearance deals on - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/duchess-womens-hybrid-bike-19-inch-soiled--ec101467
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/motion-2014-womens-hybrid-bike-19-inch-soiled--ec071932

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

See the thread that bold seagull is referring to ... I got the Halcyon Aquilla from this place

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=9604

and they accepted my offer of £300. It's a brilliant bike and the local shop that put it together for me (£30) were highly complimentary too. Excellent German build with fantastic gears, comfortable and easy to ride .

She's since switched to an elec bike as her knee is totally shot from old sports injury. We sold it on ebay and got all our £'s back

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Oh no another member of the spandex crew..
[emoji468] [emoji598] [emoji597] [emoji609] [emoji604] [emoji603] [emoji594] [emoji592] [emoji600] [emoji595]

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
when I bought my wife a bike, we were advised for her to get a man's bike, as ladies don’t very often cycle in dresses anymore and if you watch ladies get on a ladies bike, most will still lift their leg over the saddle.
The benefit being that if you want to put the bike on a rack on the back of car , the bike racks are generally designed for men’s bikes and a ladies bike wont fit very well.
He was bloomin right too!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Must have a basket so she can bring the groceries back with her from the supermarket, and a bell for warning people she is coming.

pinkbikewithbasket.gif

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Purchase my wife one of these from Evans in the summer, thankfully she loves it, light, enough gears looks good.

Specialized Vita 2014 Women's Step Through Hybrid Bike

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Pop down to the Velo Cafe and speak to Matt.

He is all knowing on bikes and always keen to give assistance.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
A hybrid if your not riding off road, a mountain bike if you are. Stay clear of really cheap unknown brands, they're not worth the aggro.
If you have the time, seek the advice of these guys http://raymentcycles.com/ then use it to buy on Ebay or Gumtree.
...which is why bike shops struggle to compete. It's best buying a bike from a reputable bike shop who will ask the right questions and make sure it fits. You also get to test ride it. Rayments are one of the best in the area, but there are plenty others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here