Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boycott the Qatar World Cup ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well ? Should the the European footballing nations boycott or not ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think they should FIFA is now out of control and just a total joke beyond belief of corruptness that is clearly not monitored or audited in any way.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, lets send Geoffrey out there, "eee yer can't play footy een this eet ! Get yer whites out and we'll have a proper game..." ad infinitum.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if they try to force it being played in the winter, i can see there being a lot of support across europe for a boycott.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Boycotting Qatar isn't really taking much of a stand. In fact, it will almost be convenient when you consider the crash course we are on, between the players, the clubs and FIFA.

I think a Russian boycott would actually mean a lot more.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whatever other actions we take, we should certainly not enter for the Qatar World Cup. And all English sides should by then have got all their players, British and Foreign, signed up on contracts which preclude the player going off to play international tournaments in mid-season. That should wreck things for a fair few other countries who might want to go - we're paying the big wages; players will want big bucks, so they'll sign up to that.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
I wouldn't want us to lead the way in boycotting Russia, as it will look like sour graps for us and not taken as seriously by the rest of the world. But qatar is a definite yes from me.
its now or never. Fiffa is an apsalute joke. ( by all means if germany or any other nation want to boycott russia, then i will be happy for england to follow.)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wouldn't want us to lead the way in boycotting Russia, as it will look like sour graps for us and not taken as seriously by the rest of the world. But qatar is a definite yes from me.
its now or never. Fiffa is an apsalute joke. ( by all means if germany or any other nation want to boycott russia, then i will be happy for england to follow.)

Germany have made noises that a boycott is a possibility unless the Garcia report is published in full with total transparency.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Germany have made noises that a boycott is a possibility unless the Garcia report is published in full with total transparency.

Now im in 2 minds a) i obviously want the garcia report to be made published in full , but
b) if other nations such as Germany get more p**sed off with the secrecy and start a boycott. Then that works for me

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
if they try to force it being played in the winter, i can see there being a lot of support across europe for a boycott.

Yes, I am sure that this may well happen and the case for boycott is morally very strong - be it Russia or Qatar or both. Just slightly uneasy about this, as FIFA defendants (yes, I know!) will then be given ammunition - there is no principle involved at all here, just reluctance to change you habitual fixture list.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

This will be a bigger deal, having a World Cup without the defending champions will certainly send a message and I don't think FIFA would survive if a few other big European teams join in.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Well ? Should the the European footballing nations boycott or not ?

Why would "Europe" have an issue with this..? We are talking about a group of countries controlled by an institution that has failed its own audit every single year - they really aren't that bothered by a little corruption, mismanagement and a few backhanders greasing the process.

It seems to be a solely British trait to find FIFA abhorrent and much of the rest of our continental neighbours just shrug their shoulders and accept it as the norm. There are a handful of other countries that would join us but they wouldn't be European ones.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't break away and start a rival union, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for most European nations to jump ship until its an established organisation!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We should boycott the world cup and hold our own then invite a few select 8 countries inc Brazil, Germany, USA, Australia and have it in the summer when the world cup should be that would throw the cat amongst the pigeons

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We should boycott the world cup and hold our own then invite a few select 8 countries inc Brazil, Germany, USA, Australia and have it in the summer when the world cup should be that would throw the cat amongst the pigeons

Yeah invite some mates round for a kick-about, jumpers for goalposts, those are always the best games of football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Choose wisely and we might even win it

I can see it now: "England win the World Cup against San Marino in a hard fought final"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here