Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interest in the Albion

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
and football in general. Are you an avid fan who makes most games whatever year on year or do you drift in and out of interest with both football itself and the Albion?

I find currently i have lost quite alot ofinterest in both maybe it's other things going on but i just don't feel the same pull as i did same two years ago. I think through out my life i have phases of interest when i'll go to most games and watch alot on TV then i won't and it's not always related to form either.

Luckily football is a constant which allows me to do this.

Not even sure why this is anyone similar who can take or leave there football Albion fix or is it everygame whatever?

Feb 14, 2010
Like most people who have moved away I imagine, its a family Sussex thing. Used to go when I was a kid, will go every now and again as an adult, may go more regularly when I'm older and have more time on my hands. Will always look out for the result.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Prior to around 1994 we were "fair weather" insomuch as we went if we fancied it, didn't if we didn't. But ever since the last three seasons or so at the a Goldstone Ground the Albion has been ever present for me, regardless of the results, managers, stadium, we've carried on going. It was probably all galvanised on the return to Brighton in 1999 when a season ticket was all but the only way to get a seat at Withdean, I don't think I can ever imagine us not having a season ticket so long as we can afford one.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I had some years in the eighties when I lost interest in football - largely down to hooliganism - and there was a time in the nineties when I seemed to be working seven day weeks and couldn't get to games. That aside I watched a lot of away games between leaving Brighton in 1976 and getting a season ticket at the Amex which coincided with retirement so I had time to travel. Life impacts on football unfortunately.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Certainly lost my mojo a bit this year. Not really enjoying Brighton games very much, indifferent about England, rarely watch MOTD.

The obscene wages that footballers earn bothers me more and more, especially given how boorish and thick many of them seem to be. And unaware of just how privileged they are in a world where so many people are struggling.

I think I enjoyed football more when it was a bit more rationed - fewer games on telly, no 24-hour media coverage ... and actually no messageboards, twitter etc. I'm not saying I didn't crave these things, but now we've got them, it has somehow taken some of the magic away.

Feb 14, 2010
Certainly lost my mojo a bit this year. Not really enjoying Brighton games very much, indifferent about England, rarely watch MOTD.

The obscene wages that footballers earn bothers me more and more, especially given how boorish and thick many of them seem to be. And unaware of just how privileged they are in a world where so many people are struggling.

I think I enjoyed football more when it was a bit more rationed - fewer games on telly, no 24-hour media coverage ... and actually no messageboards, twitter etc. I'm not saying I didn't crave these things, but now we've got them, it has somehow taken some of the magic away.

Im not worried about the wages but totally agree the over kill has made it run of the mill

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I had some years in the eighties when I lost interest in football - largely down to hooliganism

There are people on here who maintain that they lost interest because there isn't much hooliganism any more...

Takes all kinds.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
There are people on here who maintain that they lost interest because there isn't much hooliganism any more...

Takes all kinds.

I am assuming that this is a criticism of the previous post -just not sure. Hooliganism has not gone away, of course, but I think it is fair to say that you are much less likely to encounter it in the ground than would have been the case at the Goldstone, say in the late 70s. Football is undoubtedly more inclusive now, as a result of this. On a similar thread, some posts said that they did not like the corporate atmosphere, and others presumably are not so bothered, accepting that as part of the deal that goes with new stadia. I do feel that the overkill subconsciously has had an effect - every night seemingly there is a match of some sort -whilst reading I had Wycombe v Burton on in the background... I still love going to the Amex, but it is not quite the same as when it first opened - could this be down to the poor results, overkill or just have got used to it - I suspect that it might be a combination of all three.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I still love going to the Amex, but it is not quite the same as when it first opened - could this be down to the poor results, overkill or just have got used to it - I suspect that it might be a combination of all three.
For me, not enjoying The Amex as much over the past 18 months or so is ENTIRELY down to the football and results that have been served up...

The place is still completely brilliant and will be enjoyable to the full again in due course.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
For me, not enjoying The Amex as much over the past 18 months or so is ENTIRELY down to the football and results that have been served up...

The place is still completely brilliant and will be enjoyable to the full again in due course.

YEs, fully agree with your last sentence -if we are (ever) riding high in the league (Championship, not league ! !)and the Prem. beckons, I too suspect that overkill will not be a problem then!

Seen the Albion twice this season and can't see myself going again this season,given the option i'm happy to watch non league fixtures over the albion at the moment,nothing to with winning or losing or quality of football just feel underwhelmed by the match day experience.:moo: I'm sure though as i have been told there are thousands willing to take my amex seat???

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
For me a combination of, first, hooliganism and then 'life' got in the way and I really couldn't be bothered about football - I went to maybe a dozen games in 20 years!

When my son reached an age where he eats/sleeps/lives football, we had a season of going to a handful of games, then got season tickets and been holders ever since. It is his love of the game that re-sparked my interest but its me dragging him to games rather than the other way around now.

Having said that, I really can't be bothered with club games outside of the Championship and although I'm indifferent England games in general [ - though I surprised myself and watched almost every game at the World Cup].

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I think I have grown out of football in general. I barely watch it on TV anymore. I hate the governing bodies, I cannot relate to the multi millionaire players and their dubious morals and, sorry to say, I just don't like the loutishness and gobbiness of fans especially on the trains.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I had no interest in football until I left uni and went to see a Brighton game with my Dad at withdean when Brighton were really shit. Followed Brighton pretty closely since then but interest has dipped and waned more recently that's interest in football generally not just Brighton. The whole thing is just wrotten financially - wish I enjoyed watching league level rugby.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Seen the Albion twice this season and can't see myself going again this season,given the option i'm happy to watch non league fixtures over the albion at the moment,nothing to with winning or losing or quality of football just feel underwhelmed by the match day experience.:moo: I'm sure though as i have been told there are thousands willing to take my amex seat???

I know what you mean. I've been completely blown away by how good the Amex is, and at times the quality of the football. As a Brighton fan it's been beyond my wildest dreams.

Yet there is a lot to be said for standing with mates at a dingy non-league ground, tea in hand, watching local hoofers sliding in the mud and swearing at each other and sometimes the crowd, under dim floodlights. I miss it sometimes.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Me and my boy have had season tickets since about 1990...next year we have decided just to get one between us and share games.

The things that have made me lose my mojo for the game is,

For once Palace are quite successful, although you think this might be great I used to like the "backs against the wall" type of thing we had.
In the EPL (sic) There seems to be great gaps all over the season where no games are played and when they are played its 17.30 on a Saturday night or 13.30 on a Sunday WTF is all that about!!, I just lose interest.

But its not just Palace its all football..the last game I went to Palace lost, and it was about Monday when I realized I knew no other results in the whole FL...most unlike me.

I actually find football a bit boring now....

I had no interest in football until I left uni and went to see a Brighton game with my Dad at withdean when Brighton were really shit. Followed Brighton pretty closely since then but interest has dipped and waned more recently that's interest in football generally not just Brighton. The whole thing is just wrotten financially - wish I enjoyed watching league level rugby.

Brighton were fantastic at Withdean they won the only two league titles that i have witnessed in 44 years while at good old withers???

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Living in Wales doesn't make it easy to be a Brighton supporter. I absolutely love the club, so those rare occasions that I can get to the Amex are amazing win, lose or draw!

My children are all fans despite them having never lived in Brighton, so we all go when we can. NSC is an absolutely brilliant way of keeping in touch with things (as is Wiziwig!!!).

:)

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Everyone's interest level in football / the Albion is going to go up and down through various points in your life, unless you are one of these weird creepy losers who has been to every game since the end of the First World War and has owned every replica shirt ever released by the club.

Personally, my interest in the Albion is as strong as ever. The Amex is fantastic, and while we're in a rut at the moment, the standard of football over the last few years has been far superior to any I've ever experienced as an Albion fan. As for football in general, well it's just a bit shit at the top level in England these days. The standard is very high, but for me it's lost the appeal it had for the first twenty years of my life. Is that because it's over-sanitised and Americanised or is it because I have more important things going on these days? Who knows?

I still love the game itself though, playing football will never lose its appeal, and I'd personally rather watch a non-league game live than watch a random Premier League game on the TV.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here