Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton have a bigger identity than London clubs

Feb 14, 2010
I have noticed that London clubs don't have the same strong identity that the Albion and clubs like the Albion do. Clubs like Brighton and Pompey have a natural area where the locals will all look to see how they do. London just isn't like that and the locals just don't really bother about the local football team unless they support them. Granted its less so for clubs on the edge of London (Watford and Palace seem to have more of a local interest than most proper London clubs). Just an observation.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I have noticed that London clubs don't have the same strong identity that the Albion and clubs like the Albion do. Clubs like Brighton and Pompey have a natural area where the locals will all look to see how they do. London just isn't like that and the locals just don't really bother about the local football team unless they support them. Granted its less so for clubs on the edge of London (Watford and Palace seem to have more of a local interest than most proper London clubs). Just an observation.

I used to live and work in Kentish Town and Holloway and there were loads of Arsenal and Tottenham fans. I worked with one guy who had 4 season tickets at the Emirates so he could take his mates who couldn't afford the cost.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Would be interesting to know how many supporters of, say, Chelsea or Arsenal, live within 5-10 miles of the stadium. Not many, I'd guess. Even less for Man Utd !

Feb 14, 2010
I used to live and work in Kentish Town and Holloway and there were loads of Arsenal and Tottenham fans. I worked with one guy who had 4 season tickets at the Emirates so he could take his mates who couldn't afford the cost.

That's right those who go sure have an interest, but I'm not commenting on them. Its the areas. You dont see the casual interest in the local side generally. I think its because the clubs overlap so much and its easy to go and watch any of the central London clubs no matter where you live in London.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Would be interesting to know how many supporters of, say, Chelsea or Arsenal, live within 5-10 miles of the stadium. Not many, I'd guess. Even less for Man Utd !

I think thats a bit of a myth touted by people who think it's funny it just so happens that these clubs also have large support from all over the country and in some cases the World.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

As per my previous post, I used to live a 15 minute walk from the Emirates and there were many locals in my estate who supported Arsenal.

London isn't all museums, restaurants and theatres and there are housing estates scattered around!

Feb 14, 2010
As per my previous post, I used to live a 15 minute walk from the Emirates and there were many locals in my estate who supported Arsenal.

London isn't all museums, restaurants and theatres and there are housing estates scattered around!

As I said, its not the fans I'm really talking about, its the community. Brighton are the club for Sussex and people recognise that. In London its not the same identity. Its not as strong an identity in the community because anyone supports anyone in London and the local schools, pubs ect dont seem a single local side to look to as they do in the Brighton's and Pompeys. Even non football fans in Brighton will wonder how the Albion are getting on if they have a big game. Its just not like that in London

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Lots of Manchester United supporters in Stretford. They're mad for it.

My grandad was very conscious of the fact that where he lived (Rotherhithe / SE 16) was in the heart of Millwall territory. As it happens, he didn't particularly like dockers and chose to support Charlton Athletic, but he was clear that he lived in Millwall's manor.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
As I said, its not the fans I'm really talking about, its the community. Brighton are the club for Sussex and people recognise that. In London its not the same identity. Its not as strong an identity in the community because anyone supports anyone in London and the local schools, pubs ect dont seem a single local side to look to as they do in the Brighton's and Pompeys. Even non football fans in Brighton will wonder how the Albion are getting on if they have a big game. Its just not like that in London

Really? ???

Not convinced - I know an awful lot of people from Sussex who don't even know what League the Albion is in!

Feb 14, 2010
My grandad was very conscious of the fact that where he lived (Rotherhithe / SE 16) was in the heart of Millwall territory. As it happens, he didn't particularly like dockers and chose to support Charlton Athletic, but he was clear that he lived in Millwall's manor.

Yes Millwall still do quite well in some areas, but even that's changed. You can be in deepest Millwall area and nobody supports them or even know about them these days because some of the Millwall areas are so international and wealthy these days. Probably 90% of Canary Wharf area have never even thought about Millwall these days. When Brighton had that game against Hereford car hooters sounded as non league games in Sussex and even non football fans were interested.

Feb 14, 2010
Really? ???

Not convinced - I know an awful lot of people from Sussex who don't even know what League the Albion is in!

Yes well there are a few Million people in Sussex and so of course but the club have a natural boundary, a natural identity that is still there to this day. Honestly London locals just dont see their local side the same way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There was a survey carried out some years ago and surprisingly the club with the largest % of supporters who travelled more than 30 miles to a home game was Southampton. Probably due to lack of top clubs in the South West

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I live in the Middlesex area where clubs like Watford, Hayes & Yeading, Brentford, QPR and even Chelsea have supporters.
Like have you said, the identity these clubs have is not so good as Brightons, but these supporters have a varied choice.
All the local boroughs / towns all merge in to each other en route in to London, so I guess it may come down to who your dad, uncle, granddad or mates supports?
What option Man Utd fans come under is another thread?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I know an awful lot of people from Sussex who don't even know what League the Albion is in!

I know of a Brighton and Hove Albion first team manager who doesn't even look at the league table!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That's a rather outlandish comment when you are judging how people feel about their local club whom they don't support. All London clubs have a natural area (bar Arsenal) and will have a strong identity. They will even stretch in to neighbluring territories.

I think you are pointing out that some clubs have a green belt (or at least some greenery) between them and their nearest club. It's geographical.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here