Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An appeal to the cyclists among you

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
Please Guys and Girls who cycle in the dark - put some lights on your bike and switch them on when it gets dark. That's it really.

The rear red lights that flash on and off make you much easier to see. To the guy cycling up Sackville Road Friday night with a front light on the back of his bike - that's not a good plan.

Why is it that those cyclists who prefer not to put lights on their bikes also seem to be those that seem to like wearing dark clothing with no reflective properties (and often ride two abreast)?

I am not anti bike at all, I just want to be able to see you in the dark.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Good thread. As an illuminated after-dark cyclist I see such idiots all the time. I'm surprised more motorists don't 'have a word' out of their car windows as they pass.

D

Deleted member 22389

Please Guys and Girls who cycle in the dark - put some lights on your bike and switch them on when it gets dark. That's it really.

The rear red lights that flash on and off make you much easier to see. To the guy cycling up Sackville Road Friday night with a front light on the back of his bike - that's not a good plan.

Why is it that those cyclists who prefer not to put lights on their bikes also seem to be those that seem to like wearing dark clothing with no reflective properties (and often ride two abreast)?

I wear a red jacket when I go cycling. It's a proper cycling jacket. I have high powered light on the front, and a flashing LED on the back and a flourescent band around the saddle post. Still two days ago a car nearly pulled out on me. I wasn't very happy about it, at least the driver apologised which is something. I'm thinking of getting another set of small lights as well now. Better to safe than sorry.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Good thread! :thumbsup:

For anyone riding in the areas between Plumpton and Ditchling (no street/road lighting at all) or anywhere for that matter, please please wear visible clothing and/or have lights on in the dark.

I live along a very popular cycling route and frequently (just about) see cyclists riding home (on a 60mph road) in the dark with no lights or fluros.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
We have two kinds of after-dark cyclists here in the West Country:

Those who cycle with lights on the pavement.
Those who cycle on the road without lights.

Both kinds are :tosser:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
A timely reminder as the grim part of the year really starts to take hold.

As both a cyclist and driver I'm constantly baffled by those that don't wear, at least, some form of reflective gear.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
I've temporarily stopped commuting on the bike. I used to try and stay offroad for the bulk of the ride....but with the weather and darkness - it's a lot harder to do so. Even in bright yellow jacket with a fantastic rear light I can guarantee at least one very near miss (often on Clayton Hill) per ride.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Flashing lights on bikes annoy me as both a driver and a cyclist as they are distracting.

I've wondered this for a while, but is it legal to ride on the road at night with *just* flashing lights? When I worked in Halfords years ago, I'm pretty sure that cyclists had to have a solid front and rear light on their bike when it was dark, and the fancy new (as they were then) flashing LED ones were a nice little add-on option.

Things might have changed since then but you're right, CO. They ARE distracting and you would think cyclists would give themselves every possible opportunity to be seen by other road users...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

The introduction by manufacturers of flashing lights caused a change in the law if I recall correctly, but rather than banning them, the law was changed to allow them, with the recommendation that solid beams are used in unlit areas.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71
This would never happen in Germany.

Hasn't that nice Mr Farage told us that all our laws are now made in Brussels? What are we doing, allowing the UK government to mess things up like this?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It doesn't matter.
We could be lit up like Oxford Street but that won't stop selfish fat men in their metal death boxes ploughing into innocent cyclists.
Just because they want to be 20 seconds up the road, while speeding, texting, eating a sandwich and driving through red lights.

There we go, that pretty much covers the NSC cycling debate.
If someone can mention cyclist jumping red lights I think we have all bases covered and this tedious finger pointing 'I never do anything wrong on the road, it's everybody else' thread can be closed.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If we are making requests of road users, I wish people would indicate at junctions. Very dangerous not to and pretty lazy when you just have to flick the indicator up or down.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I'm in 2 minds about the flashing lights thing. Whilst I think they do draw the attention more than a 'solid' light, I do think it is more tricky to judge how far away they are. I tend to only use mine on the flash mode at dusk and set them to 'normal' when it gets properly dark.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's an interesting debate though, which is better? The flashing rear light, or the fixed rear light?

19_harryhillfight.gif

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
It doesn't matter.
We could be lit up like Oxford Street but that won't stop selfish fat men in their metal death boxes ploughing into innocent cyclists.
Just because they want to be 20 seconds up the road, while speeding, texting, eating a sandwich and driving through red lights.

There we go, that pretty much covers the NSC cycling debate.
If someone can mention cyclist jumping red lights I think we have all bases covered and this tedious finger pointing 'I never do anything wrong on the road, it's everybody else' thread can be closed.

I think you will find this is not a anti thread stat - so calm down. Iv'e just dropped off wrong direction so be warned:moo:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here