Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone know why westbound Union Rd in Btn hasn't been eased with a bus lane?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
With nearly every congested road used by buses being eased with a bus lane, it surprises me westbound Union Rd in Btn is still allowed to be a horrendous pinch point, seemingly to gain the parking revenue from about twelve parking spaces?

Wouldn't it be better to make it a two lane approach to the lights, to ease one of the main crosstown east/west thoroughfares?

Any experts with a view?

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Well spotted - Ive long thought that - even if they cut out two or three of the parking spaces at the open market end it would help buses turn left and not be held up by traffic going the other way.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I thought they might have resolved this as part of the Level re-design. Surely they could have removed the pavement on the westbound side and widened the road slightly, or remove the dozen or so spaces.

It is a pain when you are sitting on a bus waiting to turn left and there is nothing there. They either need to sort out the sequencing of the lights, or move those spaces.

You can't seriously be suggesting the Greens have missed an opportunity to put in a bus lane. I am waiting to hear about their first bus lane on a non bus route.
I could tell you about a bus stop and new bus shelter installed at the side of a road without a bus route. But that was Lewes District Council, back in the days when the Lib Dems were in control.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Having just gone through there, I think the simple answer is it would incentivise using the route if it was eased, which is clearly against Council policy

By making it a two lane approach, buses couldn't be prioritised, as cars turn left there as well

And as we all aknow, bus lanes MUST be at the expense of private vehicular traffic flow, so making it a non-goer...

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I could tell you about a bus stop and new bus shelter installed at the side of a road without a bus route. But that was Lewes District Council, back in the days when the Lib Dems were in control.
We had a similar thing up at Fiveways where they built a lovely shelter in Hollingbury Road. All we needed then was some West/East buses ...

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Definitely needs a two lane junction at the bottom of the Rosehill going turning left into Ditchling Road. Buses get stuck in the queue which delays them.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Definitely needs a two lane junction at the bottom of the Rosehill going turning left into Ditchling Road. Buses get stuck in the queue which delays them.

Another thing that can help down in that area is for the junction of Viaduct Road and Ditchling Road to be a box junction. Eastbound traffic in Viaduct Road often sits across Ditchling Road, the lights change and then nothing can get up the hill, be that bus, car or lorry.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here