Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Scotland: Do you care?

Do you care about England Vs Scotland?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So, England are playing Scotland tomorrow night. I don't really see the point of playing them to be honest, it's a waste of a game as far as I'm concerned. We'll not learn much from playing in what will essentially be a premier league/f.a cup game. Still, it's the first time we've played them since the euro 2000 play off games...or at least that's what I thought until someone told me we played them last year. That one seems to have completely passed me by as I have absolutely no recollection of it. We won 3-2 at Wembley, apparently.

All of the above suggests to me that I really don't care about playing Scotland. I guess there must be enough people that care about the game otherwise why would we take it? Do you?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Last years game was a cracking game of football, mostly because Scotland were well up for it which then woke us up. Felt like old times.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Last years game was a cracking game of football, mostly because Scotland were well up for it which then woke us up. Felt like old times.

That's largely because we are devoid of any ability to create and maintain tempo and atmosphere - we'll join in if someone else starts, but never under our own steam.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's largely because we are devoid of any ability to create and maintain tempo and atmosphere - we'll join in if someone else starts, but never under our own steam.

Have you been talking to my wife?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bit of a pointless friendly really, as neither team is short of games this season: they're an improving side under WGS but I'm not sure their style of football (if the Ireland game was any guide) is necessarily any kind of preparation for playing most other European teams. It's presumably just a money-making exercise as one of the few friendly games that would actually sell out?

Still: at least it gives them another opportunity to unleash their inner Mel Gibson and vent their spleens at the evil, repressive English again in a safe, controlled environment.

I take it there will be a ban on giant papier mache effigies of Alex Salmond at Celtic Park?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Well, that's the thing for me. They may well be well up for it, but for my part I don't care about them. I'll be disappointed if we lose but no more or less than if we were to lose a friendly to anyone else.

As Edna says it doesn't really offer a true test of European football. I'd rather we played a decent side that plays in a different manner to us so that we can better prepare our players for 2016. Still, I guess one wasted friendly doesn't hurt if it guarantees a full house and a bit of passion.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I like Scotland. There's something nice about seeing a team significantly comprised of Championship footballers playing international football.

Plus there's Greer and (occasionally) CMS. Also Magoo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, that's the thing for me. They may well be well up for it, but for my part I don't care about them. I'll be disappointed if we lose but no more or less than if we were to lose a friendly to anyone else.

As Edna says it doesn't really offer a true test of European football. I'd rather we played a decent side that plays in a different manner to us so that we can better prepare our players for 2016. Still, I guess one wasted friendly doesn't hurt if it guarantees a full house and a bit of passion.

Agree largely but as a one off, it's a laugh.

Also, looking like we could definitely see one or two home nations at Euro 16...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I care. I'm really looking forward to it.

I doubt we'd actually "learn" anything from playing someone decent anyway tbh. It'll be a hostile atmosphere in front of a full house, they'll be DESPERATE to put one over on us, and I'll thoroughly enjoy it when we disappoint them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll probably watch but it's a bit like Notts County v Nottm Forest or Orient v West Ham in an early round League Cup game.

One team's fans absolutely wetting themselves with excitement, the other team's fans evenly split between those who couldn't give a toss and those who would really rather not lose because of what it means to the other lot, but ultimately won't lose any sleep over it if we do.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
now matter how out of love the English public are with the national side, you have to respect the fixture. the oldest international in the world, with the added needle of the referendum, the jocks playing ok, its great. in the days when football seems to actively be trying to make you fall out of love with it a little every day, you got to cling on to these things.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Will give it 'til half time then turn over to BBC1 to watch the only other man to have had as miraculous a hair recovery plan as Shrek has in The Missing.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'll probably watch but it's a bit like Notts County v Nottm Forest or Orient v West Ham in an early round League Cup game.

One team's fans absolutely wetting themselves with excitement, the other team's fans evenly split between those who couldn't give a toss and those who would really rather not lose because of what it means to the other lot, but ultimately won't lose any sleep over it if we do.

Just about sums it up for me

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
now matter how out of love the English public are with the national side, you have to respect the fixture. the oldest international in the world, with the added needle of the referendum, the jocks playing ok, its great. in the days when football seems to actively be trying to make you fall out of love with it a little every day, you got to cling on to these things.

Absolutely this. I'm hugely apathetic about England but there's just something about this fixture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here