Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New gas boiler required (plus installation)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Knowing NSC's great capacity to solve all problems I thought I'd put this out there...

We have an 11 year old boiler an Alpha CB28. It won't ignite and after having several visits to try and fix it the engineer has said it's probably kaput. (He's replaced the air pressure switch to no avail so he thinks the problem is either the PCB or the regulator. Replacing either will be 'only' a few hundred pounds off the price of a new boiler so that's what he recommended).

Any ideas who I should go to? And yes I have googled and I really don't know what replacement I need, how much I can expect to pay.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I had my boiler replaced last january. It was pretty much a straight swap, needing just minimal pipework rearranging.

The new boiler is an Ideal Logic heat 18. I also had the 3 way valve, room thermostat and timer replaced.

Cost was just under £2k by a local gas safe plumber

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
British Gas are doing a 'pay no VAT' offer on all new boilers until Dec 31st.

The cost will be 2.5-3.5K all in with one year homecare thrown in. They do a payment plan to spread the cost, 10% ish required up front.

Worth at least considering, I reckon.

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Boiler should be around about the £700 mark, and installation if straight swap should be between £400-£600.

You'll probably get quotes around £1400.

Get a few quotes first to compare and play them off each other to try and reduce costs, and see what boiler they are quoting for, then go to a plumbers merchant yourself to see if you can get it without an inflated price.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Do not go with British gas as per post above as you will pay double!

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Do not go with British gas as per post above as you will pay double!

Could not agree more. They tried to trick my wife into having a new boiler when there was nothing wrong other than old. Then even turned it off and put a notice on it during snowy weather. They pretend to be caring but are nothing than sharks. I tried to get an apology and expose them but they are very hard to tie down. They were well known for this practise. Just Google it, but deny it still goes on, and tell you they do not work on commission.

WSU

Jan 17, 2012
I am a gas safe installer, so if you want me to give you a quote then send me a message with your details and I'll see what I can do. (Even if you just want advice - that's free to Albion supporters of course!)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
John Boy's dad did an excellent and reasonably priced job on a new boiler for me a few years ago and still maintains it and does my plumbing jobs. Pm me if you want his details

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Boiler should be around about the £700 mark, and installation if straight swap should be between £400-£600.

You'll probably get quotes around £1400.

Get a few quotes first to compare and play them off each other to try and reduce costs, and see what boiler they are quoting for, then go to a plumbers merchant yourself to see if you can get it without an inflated price.

£700.00 for a new Combi?
What make is that then---B&Q's special offer? ------The 30si Worcester Bosch we use most-including flue/programmer/filling loop is £1250 trade!
Install is about right tho:thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just for reference, we're getting a new boiler installed at the pub on Monday, the old one has finally kicked the bucket. We're on LPG which pushes up the cost of the boiler a bit and have been quoted £1900. [MENTION=27032]Mr Bridger[/MENTION] quote of £1400 seems about the ballpark figure for a standard boiler and installation.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
£700.00 for a new Combi?
What make is that then---B&Q's special offer? ------The 30si Worcester Bosch we use most-including flue/programmer/filling loop is £1250 trade!

Didn't realise that was the only boiler on the market? Budget might stretch that far? Do they need that size boiler?

This is where a lot of customers get ripped as a plumber will always recommend a boiler they always use that's not always the cheapest.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Just for reference, we're getting a new boiler installed at the pub on Monday, the old one has finally kicked the bucket. We're on LPG which pushes up the cost of the boiler a bit and have been quoted £1900. [MENTION=27032]Mr Bridger[/MENTION] quote of £1400 seems about right for a standard boiler and installation.

Are you putting the fella up---feeding him and giving him gallons of :drink: for that price:)

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Didn't realise that was the only boiler on the market? Budget might stretch that far? Do they need that size boiler?

This is where a lot of customers get ripped as a plumber will always recommend a boiler they always use that's not always the cheapest.

Size does matter:blush: so fair point.
5 year guarantee helps tho.
Forty years in the business and never ripped off anyone as far as I can remember-------that's why I'm still at it:eek:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
£700.00 for a new Combi?

Are you Gas Safe registered Simmo?

I did think £1400 was what everyone was charging 20 years ago.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Could not agree more. They tried to trick my wife into having a new boiler when there was nothing wrong other than old. Then even turned it off and put a notice on it during snowy weather. They pretend to be caring but are nothing than sharks. I tried to get an apology and expose them but they are very hard to tie down. They were well known for this practise. Just Google it, but deny it still goes on, and tell you they do not work on commission.

Once when we had a BG service contract the engineer came out to have a look at our failing boiler and said it was knackered (he was right in this case - it was 20-odd years old). He tried to sell us a replacement, and offered a free quote on the spot - can't remember the exact figure but it was about £6k because he said everything needed replacing - radiators, pump etc. When I questioned this he was very open about him being a 'churn engineer' (his words) and that his primary objective was to sell new systems rather than fix existing ones. He was about to retire and was clearly not comfortable with what he was supposed to be doing. Have not used BG since - our last boiler replacement was about £1500 (5 years ago, and a 'cash price').

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Once when we had a BG service contract the engineer came out to have a look at our failing boiler and said it was knackered (he was right in this case - it was 20-odd years old). He tried to sell us a replacement, and offered a free quote on the spot - can't remember the exact figure but it was about £6k because he said everything needed replacing - radiators, pump etc. When I questioned this he was very open about him being a 'churn engineer' (his words) and that his primary objective was to sell new systems rather than fix existing ones. He was about to retire and was clearly not comfortable with what he was supposed to be doing. Have not used BG since - our last boiler replacement was about £1500 (5 years ago, and a 'cash price').

Spot on about BG.
A very good friend is a BG boiler engineer, he is very good at the 'job he was trained to do' what he doesn't know about repairing boilers and central heating isn't worth worrying about.
But he is now encouraged to sell,sell,sell and isn't happy about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here