Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Managing expectations

Are you happy right now?

• Yes, have TB in charge and the club run well by a fan is the most important thing

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No, we're a big club who should be aiming higher

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Fence

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Maybe an overused buzz-phrase, but reading Tony Bloom's comments in the Argus articles indicates a definitive exercise in managing (us fans') expectations. We have a mid-table budget; that budget won't be increased anytime soon; the PL is still the goal but the reality is it'll take a considerable over-achievement combined with better sides making a complete mess of their season's collectively for us to get there.

So, are you happy with this? Are we a genuine sleeping giant waiting for an even wealthier investor who has the funds to take us to the promised land? Or are you happy to remain a half-decent Championship side for the foreseeable future?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Firstly the expectations that are, or rather have been, coming out of the club are very mixed. There's the restating of the fact that we have a mid table budget but also that our aim is the Premier League. As soon as the Premier League Ready thing leaked out that set expectations in many fans' minds. Secondly how long can we maintain those big corporate deals that adorn the club shop, Amex and Nike, if our realistic aim is 15th in the Championship? They won't hang around.

I'd be quite happy for us to be that club and to have the odd big Cup tie but that's not the impression that at least part of the senior management team have communicated. Also it would see the budget comparatively reduce each season unless we started making from the academy because The Championship is a money pit.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
As long as we/the club are happy to accept that attendances will fall to the levels of Middlesborough and stay there

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Firstly the expectations that are, or rather have been, coming out of the club are very mixed. There's the restating of the fact that we have a mid table budget but also that our aim is the Premier League. As soon as the Premier League Ready thing leaked out that set expectations in many fans' minds. Secondly how long can we maintain those big corporate deals that adorn the club shop, Amex and Nike, if our realistic aim is 15th in the Championship? They won't hang around.

I'd be quite happy for us to be that club and to have the odd big Cup tie but that's not the impression that at least part of the senior management team have communicated. Also it would see the budget comparatively reduce each season unless we started making from the academy because The Championship is a money pit.

The mixed messages point is an interesting and important one I think. I wonder if, as astute a businessman as he is, TB has had to adjust his personal expectations since taking the reigns and is conflicted to an extent himself between what he'd love to deliver and what the club realistically can achieve.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As long as PB does not intend to stitch me up like a kipper on 1901 renewal next year because he wants shot of me and to open up the ability to charge a fortune for Corporate Hospitality, then I am happy. I'm not thrilled by the football or the short term prospects but I'm a Brighton fan so I'm used to being disappointed with the quality on the pitch most of the time. We HAVE been spoilt over the last few years until this season.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Mid table would be fine with me but we are fed one club one ambition nonsense and actually have a relegation battle on our hands with a powder puff squad. When it comes to our product, the playing squad sadly we are div one ready more than anything else.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, I am happy with 99% of what is happenning at the albion.

The only 2 issues which cause unhappiness to me at this club, are the failure to adequately replace Leo ( as Baldock and O'Grady simply are not that standard ), and Sami's tactics, which I remain unconvinced about.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Fence. Regression is never something that we should be happy with, but ultimately we are lucky to have a lifelong fan and astute businessman in control as the long-term security of the club has to be the main concern.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here