Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whing, Wright, Lowe but still No Hoskins

LeTiss

May 20, 2010
Southwater, Horsham
As I enter the final straight of my 92 League Grounds I took in York City v Oxford United yesterday.

A part from checking out drinking and eating venues I did very little match day prep so to my surprise I found 3 ex Albion players in the starting 22. I knew Hoskins had signed for Oxford but as expected injury prevented him from getting anywhere near the squad.

Not sure if many remember Lowe (York's centre half) but he is the guy we got on loan from Wolves down at the Withdean but I don't think he ever got to kick a ball for the first team. He looked the typical slow dominant experienced League Two centre half who has been around the block and back again.

Whingy was played in a holding roll, certainly no Bridcutt, Ince or Holla but he added grit and defensive cover to Oxfords midfield and certainly played his part in Oxfords 1-0 win. Whilst Wright, who's Oxfords captain, looked a class footballing centre half at this level. He organised the back line well and led the side brilliantly.

As for others who impressed this is the second time I've seen York this season and Coulson has impressed on both occasions. Fletcher was a let down second time around after impressing me at Stevenage. However the one guy who caught the eye was Oxford's lone striker James Roberts. Up against two bullies he wasn't scared, he was brave and worked tirelessly. He had good movement, was fairly quick and scored a poachers goal. He was a little cocky and should have scored a second when his pace took him on a 1 on 1 only for his shot to come back off the upright but he did look confident in that position. Having looked him up apparently it was his league debut having scored twice in the FAC at Grimsby. One to watch me thinks.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Interesting, thanks. Oxford United are the closest thing to a second club for me. Delighted to see they have launched some sort of renaissance.

Michael Appleton's 26th win in 101 attempts at his fifth club. He must interview very well.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
How did James Roberts look in general, to have scored and hit the post is pretty good going. As you say, it was his league debut and he scored twice in his ither start in the Cup. He's only young, 18/19, but is very highly rated by them and by Football Manager too!

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
How did James Roberts look in general, to have scored and hit the post is pretty good going. As you say, it was his league debut and he scored twice in his ither start in the Cup. He's only young, 18/19, but is very highly rated by them and by Football Manager too!

I would say he wasn't scared, he was brave and worked tirelessly. He had good movement and was fairly quick. He was also a little cocky but he did look confident in that position.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here