Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is British music on its death bed ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
None. Never hear them,i dont tune into any station in order. Just so many remember 50/60/70's music far more today's 'music'.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think if you concentrate on things like The X Factor then yes. However, it's been shown that bands like Royal Blood can still have success in the music charts (whether they be albums or singles) to show that it's not quite in its deathbed. Perhaps compared to the 60's and 70's then yes, but it's a completely different musical landscape to back then.

EDIT: If you don't hear todays music, how can you compare it to back then?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The British Blues scene has never been in a healthier state. Arguably even better than the Sixties boom.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Ed Sheeran, Royal Blood, Ben Howard, George Ezra and Sam Smith would disagree. All remarkably talented musicians. Could possibly put Emile Sande into the same list. Also you have Muse, Kasabian, Tom Odell, and a host of others. Depends what you like really, but all of the above have some insane skillz and dope beats. As the cool kids would say, obviously.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ed Sheeran, Royal Blood, Ben Howard, George Ezra and Sam Smith would disagree. All remarkably talented musicians. Could possibly put Emile Sande into the same list. Also you have Muse, Kasabian, Tom Odell, and a host of others. Depends what you like really, but all of the above have some insane skillz and dope beats. As the cool kids would say, obviously.
this.......not everyone concerns themselves with " chart " music....there are countless , excellent English bands / producers that many will not have heard of.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Yawn.

You don't actually like music do you? Just got a few favourite bands and that's your lot.

Who on earth looks to the 'talent' shows to hear what music is around?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I'd agree, if you took the last 50 years and ran through the top 50 British Bands of that time 10ish should come from the last decade, I'd have 0

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
None. Never hear them,i dont tune into any station in order. Just so many remember 50/60/70's music far more today's 'music'.

It's a different world today you cannot expect good music to land on your lap as mainstream pop acts tend to dominate the charts and air play.

There is loads of good stuff out there mainly from North America in my view but there is still enough good British music albeit we probably don't have the same amount of big acts from the 60's & 70's.

It's also worth remembering there are so many more genres then back then so as mentioned before the whole landscape has changed.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Saw Robert Plant at the Roundhouse last week, a lovely mixture of old and new songs, backed by a very talented band. If an alleged £500 million offer does not tempt him to tour with Zeppelin, then he must be just having fun writing some new songs and touring.The man is a legend and great example that British music is not dead.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you only listen to music from the 50s to the 70s and never get exposure to any new music from anywhere except reality TV shows then yes, music has been dead as a door nail for at least 35 years.

Got to say, the OP is missing out big time if his mind is so shut to the idea of listening to any new music because of a very strange notion that there can't possibly be any good music still being made. Ah well, his loss.

el punal

this.......not everyone concerns themselves with " chart " music....there are countless , excellent English bands / producers that many will not have heard of.
Back in the 70s cool, discerning music lovers would never go anywhere near an act that was in the charts (singles I mean). Album charts, now that was where it was at man! :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here