Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brooksteed Alehouse in Worthing

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I regularly get a takeaway of a couple of pints down there, glad to see it doing well.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Great plug for a Worthing pub. You can vote for the best one on the Worthing Herald website. Nice.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A few weeks back I took the dog on a Friday afternoon micro pub crawl.
Starting in Shoreham at the Old Star followed by the Stanley Arms outpost in Lancing, jumped on the train to Worthing, to take in the Brooksteed and finally the Anchor.

Sadly the Brooksteed were unable to serve me, as they are forced to close in the afternoons, although I had a good chat with the landlord. The sooner they sort this nonsense out the better.

These places are fascinating, quirky, small, low overheads, limited choice but top quality. Great little watering holes and very sociable. Go discover one if you haven't already.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why the councils stand on these newcomers toes beats me. Nice little place it is as well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A few weeks back I took the dog on a Friday afternoon micro pub crawl.
Starting in Shoreham at the Old Star followed by the Stanley Arms outpost in Lancing, jumped on the train to Worthing, to take in the Brooksteed and finally the Anchor.

Sadly the Brooksteed were unable to serve me, as they are forced to close in the afternoons, although I had a good chat with the landlord. The sooner they sort this nonsense out the better.

These places are fascinating, quirky, small, low overheads, limited choice but top quality. Great little watering holes and very sociable. Go discover one if you haven't already.

He is not allowed to have any tables and chairs outside and the front is not to be used as a smoking area, also to avoid disturbance to the locals the bar closes at 9,30 pm The irony is that the Thai restaurant next door has tables and chairs outside which is used as a smoking area and for people to drink outside while smoking or after their meals, plus it is open to about midnight before closing. It is very unfair in my opinion.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He is not allowed to have any tables and chairs outside and the front is not to be used as a smoking area, also to avoid disturbance to the locals the bar closes at 9,30 pm The irony is that the Thai restaurant next door has tables and chairs outside which is used as a smoking area and for people to drink outside while smoking or after their meals, plus it is open to about midnight before closing. It is very unfair in my opinion.

I started reading your post and was going to reply to say that the Thai had all the things the ale house isn't allowed. Bizarre.

Very good little Thai that BTW. Lovely people and decent food including a great value set meal lunch.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I started reading your post and was going to reply to say that the Thai had all the things the ale house isn't allowed. Bizarre.

Very good little Thai that BTW. Lovely people and decent food including a great value set meal lunch.

If you get the chance you should nip in to the alehouse as they do have 3-4 ciders and perrys on draught too as well as 5 ales. I really hope they do well as to have good beers handy is a godsend.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

They were pretty much dying on their arses when they were where the Wandering Goose is now a little while back. I don't know if the people have changed but that sounds like a good evening for me and Mrs Q next week. A few good ales and then a decent Thai next door.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Says something about the brewery companies that somebody can rent a shop to open a bar cheaper than renting The Clifton or Jollies and refurbish and re open them. They were both closed long enough to have lost the name they had and re opened under a new name and concept.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I believe that the Anchor had similar opening hours restrictions, when it first opened and these have been loosened, as a decent track record has been established.

The four micro pubs that I mentioned in my earlier post, are part of a broader trend, but this is new territory for many authorities. It is understandable that they are wary when pubs are moving into small former retail units. The Old Star for example also shuts at 09:30 and has a limit of 32 customers. To be honest they couldn't cram in many more if they tried. The Anchor looks like a dozen would swamp the place, it is that small, with tables made from butchers blocks , which are suitably narrow, to leave a clear path to the bar. The Stanley in Lancing probably has the most relaxed set of rules, as it is tucked away and does not have flats directly above, it is also slightly larger than the other premises. Even so the Landlord is wary of attracting the wrong type of crowd. The Brooksteed in addition to suffering afternoon closure, is also not allowed to serve anyone standing up, hence drinks are bought to the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here