Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

God Lives!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
No. This isn't a religious sermon. I have just got back from watching Ebbsfleet v Farnborough. The Fleet's current deputy manager is a Mr. Steve Gritt. With a crowd of under 900 I was able to get his attention just before kick off, introduce myself as a Brighton supporter and thank him for the miracle of 97.

He must have had this a thousand times in the 17 years since but it was lovely to see the broad grin that spread across his face. A swift shake of hands and some back patting and I let him get back to the job at hand (The Fleet won 3-0).

I'd best not wash this hand again...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Did you tell him that Harty is now a hate figure on NSC? He'd be over to sort it out in a flash if he knew.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
There he is...

Gritt.jpg

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
No. This isn't a religious sermon. I have just got back from watching Ebbsfleet v Farnborough. The Fleet's current deputy manager is a Mr. Steve Gritt. With a crowd of under 900 I was able to get his attention just before kick off, introduce myself as a Brighton supporter and thank him for the miracle of 97.

He must have had this a thousand times in the 17 years since but it was lovely to see the broad grin that spread across his face. A swift shake of hands and some back patting and I let him get back to the job at hand (The Fleet won 3-0).

Was this widely not known that Steve Gritt was deputy to Steve Brown(former Charlton skipper)?

He was treated very badly by the club at the time, IMHO - sacrificed for Brian Horton, who was seen as a 'bums on seats' manager given that we were now playing at Priestfield. Sounds familiar?....Gus Poyet 'bums on seats' manager to hearald a new dawn at The Amex....Sammi Hyppia 'bums on seats' manager given that players were leaving/attendances falling.

The club is not as silly as you think - "give 'em a little bit of Prem' glamour, & they'll renew for another season....." :wink:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Was this widely not known that Steve Gritt was deputy to Steve Brown(former Charlton skipper)?

He was treated very badly by the club at the time, IMHO - sacrificed for Brian Horton, who was seen as a 'bums on seats' manager given that we were now playing at Priestfield. Sounds familiar?....Gus Poyet 'bums on seats' manager to hearald a new dawn at The Amex....Sammi Hyppia 'bums on seats' manager given that players were leaving/attendances falling.

The club is not as silly as you think - "give 'em a little bit of Prem' glamour, & they'll renew for another season....." :wink:

Steve Gritt was replaced by Jeff Wood.

RedRob

Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang

God bless YOU sir!.....& The Fleet!

Are you a 'closet Fleet fan'? - or was it a one-off going to Stonebridge Rd(the PHB stadium!)? I too go to half dozen games a season - in fact, I blew out our game v Blackburn to attend Ebbsfleet's game v Bath city last week!

I like the Brighton connection that goes with it - Steve Gritt, of course :bowdown: ...& one 'Chris McPhee', who sored EUFC's goal when they beat Torquay Utd in the (2008?) FA Trophy final.....

Just right now, I enjoy Ebbsfleet's games more than our own.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I have a very good friend who is an Ebbsfleet supporter of 30+ years. I've recently started taking in the odd Fleet game. £10 to get in, the run of the ground, standing and I get to bring in my big camera. It's very enjoyable and I will keep going, as there are lots of matches local to me (Staines v Ebbsfleet earlier in the month) but it's never the same as watching a team that you are wholly invested in.

That's the great thing about football. There are so many varieties of it and I enjoy dipping into non-league for a change of scenery.

RedRob

Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
I have a very good friend who is an Ebbsfleet supporter of 30+ years. I've recently started taking in the odd Fleet game. £10 to get in, the run of the ground, standing and I get to bring in my big camera. It's very enjoyable and I will keep going, as there are lots of matches local to me (Staines v Ebbsfleet earlier in the month) but it's never the same as watching a team that you are wholly invested in.

That's the great thing about football. There are so many varieties of it and I enjoy dipping into non-league for a change of scenery.

:smile: ...I certainly feel Ebbsfleet are on the up, & could ultimately become Kent's second league club. They are certainly passionately supported....& the whole matchday has that 'football as it used to be' feel. Good times. If that 'garden city' development goes through, investment will pour into the club & a new stadium will be 'just around the corner'(literally, hopefully!) Myself, & youngest son bumped into Daryl McMahon :bowdown: on the International station platform a while ago - he was a nice guy!....& our favourite player. Got to give a mention to Anthony Cook also! :bowdown: Somehow, 'cos of Gritty. I feel it puts 'the demons to rest' for me by going to some EUFC games....as was SO disappointed when he was sacked by us. Who knows, without SG we may have been playing The Fleet next week?.....if we were lucky.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

That's spoooooky. I too was at Wheatsheaf Park to watch Staines Town play Ebbsfleet. I though was supporting the Swans.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
That's spoooooky. I too was at Wheatsheaf Park to watch Staines Town play Ebbsfleet. I though was supporting the Swans.

Well very good luck to you because they're having a hell of a time. An odd game though, as there was a decent spell where it could have gone either way and it was only in the latter stages that Ebbsfleet looked like the better team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here