Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flying high - but Rusk admits it's not all about results for Albion teens [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion’s teenagers have been told to enjoy life near the top of their new league.
But, as the Seagulls under-18s prepare for the second half of their regular league season, boss Simon Rusk admits they are bound to think about what the future holds.
Albion have enjoyed some notable wins and scored plenty of goals after making the step up to Category One status.
They are one point behind leaders Leicester City and level on points with West Ham and Chelsea as sides jostle for position ahead of the second phase.
A 5-1 win at Tottenham and success over Chelsea, Aston Villa and Southampton have all caught the eye, as did they way they secured a last-gasp draw at West Brom after travelling to the Black Country on the day of the game.
It has all made for an impressive reaction to what looked a sobering first game in the Barclays Under-18 Premier League, when they lost 4-0 at home to Arsenal.
Rusk tries to play down the highs and low and admits league positions are not the be all and end all for his boys.
But he is not about to stop them looking at the table. Or learning about every aspect of professional football.
Rusk said: “It has been a very positive season so far. The players have relished stepping up to Category One football.
“In under-18s football, your position in the table is not the main priority but they have more than held their own.
“They have improved as individuals and as a team.
“The most pleasing thing to me is that we look like a team who can score goals.
“Of course you need any side to be disciplined and strong in defence.
“But we have attacking players who really express themselves and that is exciting to watch.
“The lads have put in some performances that have been enjoyable for them to play in.
“I don’t talk about the league table but I know the players will look at it. It’s part of football.”
Rusk is keen to praise the team effort rather than individual feats.
But he admits his players are now at the stage where football becomes more than a game.
Sport psychologist Sarah Murray works with the under-18s to ensure worries about whether they are taken on at the end of their scholarships do not get them down.
Rusk said: “Once they are 16 and in the door here, I am sure the players have a different outlook on their football.
“They are starting to think about getting the development contract and going into the under-21s.
“There is pressure in that sense but we try to manage it.
“I know the boys put pressure on themselves to hit their own targets. The under-21s and that first contract are massive targets for them.
“What we do as a club is give them the tools and infrastructure to manage that pressure.”
Albion’s players not on international duty had some time off before returning to base on Monday.
They are also eyeing the third round of the FA Youth Cup, in which they play at home to Derby County.
The Rams are fourth in the North group with 16 points from ten games. Leaders Middlesbrough have 24 from 11.
Rusk said: “That’s a really great game to look forward to. It will be tight. Derby are a good side. We feel we can win.”
Albion will host the Rams at the Amex on Monday, December 15 (7pm), tickets priced £5 for adults and £2 for concessions.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here