Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were/are your thoughts when you hear Premier League Ready?

PLR means ...

• The club off the pitch, personnel, contracts, advertising, et al will all be in place for the PL.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • All things on the pitch will be able to get promoted and perform in the PL

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Generally a decent mix of both.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • I don't listen to blue skies thinking.

Votes: 15 27.8%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As this is one of the many sticks being used to beat our Chief Exec with, what did it mean to you when you first heard it?

I may well be completely wrong, but I thought the phrase came out at the time the florescent advertising boards were bought.
They are mandatory in the PL so that coupled with FFP looming meant the club 'might as well buy them now', so we are Premier League & UEFA ready.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nothing wrong with as an ambition, and nothing wrong with having PLR infrastructure and it was 100% right to have PL standards in place throughout so when the time comes the transition is easy. I'm not overly bothered if/when we eventually get there though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At the time I bought into it 100% but it sounds a bit silly now because the most important component is nowhere near ready any more.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I raised this on the customers/fans thread, but now that it has a thread of its own, can anyone tell me if this phrase has ever actually been used in a public communication to fans? I have never seen it or heard it used (by the club), apart from in one argus article last autumn reporting that Paul Barber uses it as an in house motto to make sure that all off pitch aspects are top notch - clearly option 1.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Do you think I'd get away with posting on here if I did?

Absolutely; this isn't North Korea. I'd imagine that a high percentage of the non-playing staff are fans as well, so stands to reason that they'd post on here.

It was a genuine question, as you said that you didn't buy in to the PLR thing, which is an in-house motto that PB uses to encourage staff.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's simply about every person in every part of the organisation doing the very best they can. It's a very similar ethos to that written about by ex-San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh in his book "The score takes care of itself"...

In 1979 when Walsh took over the 49ers, the franchise was the laughing stock of the NFL as it managed to win only two games that season. However, in less than two years, Walsh led the 49ers from last place to Super Bowl Champs. A true Cinderella story. When Walsh left the franchise ten years later, the team had won three Super Bowl Championships and completed perhaps the greatest run in NFL history.

How did Walsh fuel this transformation and build one of the great NFL dynasties? He credited his “Standards of Performance” as the catalyst for driving organizational change and maintaining a high level of performance during his tenure with the team. Walsh codified his “Standards of Performance” and drove them throughout every level of the organization including the administrative staff. Within the first year, there was a dramatic shift in the way that everyone approached and performed their jobs. Nothing short of excellence and a team first attitude would be tolerated.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely; this isn't North Korea. I'd imagine that a high percentage of the non-playing staff are fans as well, so stands to reason that they'd post on here.

It was a genuine question, as you said that you didn't buy in to the PLR thing, which is an in-house motto that PB uses to encourage staff.

I actually did buy into it when I first heard the expression. We had a team playing the best football I've seen from an Albion team and we were considered a top Championship team. I understand the reasons why we are now also rans in the Championship and although we have fantastic facilities we are no longer ready for the step up to the Premier League. We can't look to the development squad in the near future and the academy will take a minimum of 5-8 years to produce the players needed to challenge at the top end of this league.

So imo we are no longer anywhere near PLR on the pitch and I do believe that is the most important component in the quest to get to and stay in the Premier League.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
It depends what you think of when you think of the Premier League. Burnley who yoyo every 15 years on average but used to be established 60 years ago, Swansea who seem to have settled there mid table for a few years, but how long? Everton who have been and might be there for ever, who's best days are probably in the past. Man City or Man United [forget them!]

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ll
It's simply about every person in every part of the organisation doing the very best they can. It's a very similar ethos to that written about by ex-San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh in his book "The score takes care of itself"...

In 1979 when Walsh took over the 49ers, the franchise was the laughing stock of the NFL as it managed to win only two games that season. However, in less than two years, Walsh led the 49ers from last place to Super Bowl Champs. A true Cinderella story. When Walsh left the franchise ten years later, the team had won three Super Bowl Championships and completed perhaps the greatest run in NFL history.

How did Walsh fuel this transformation and build one of the great NFL dynasties? He credited his “Standards of Performance” as the catalyst for driving organizational change and maintaining a high level of performance during his tenure with the team. Walsh codified his “Standards of Performance” and drove them throughout every level of the organization including the administrative staff. Within the first year, there was a dramatic shift in the way that everyone approached and performed their jobs. Nothing short of excellence and a team first attitude would be tolerated.

Could have been us with Bloom and Poyet if Gus had bought into the long term here :down:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
As this is one of the many sticks being used to beat our Chief Exec with, what did it mean to you when you first heard it?

I may well be completely wrong, but I thought the phrase came out at the time the florescent advertising boards were bought.
They are mandatory in the PL so that coupled with FFP looming meant the club 'might as well buy them now', so we are Premier League & UEFA ready.
UEFA ready ? When did that happen :mad:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
UEFA ready ? When did that happen :mad:
When our stadium was given the green light to host international matches.
I guess you don't pay attention to things that you have no chance of ever achieving.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
When our stadium was given the green light to host international matches.
I guess you don't pay attention to things that you have no chance of ever achieving.

And peppa pig concerts .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're going to win the Champions League 2017/18, beating Barcelona 4-0 in the final (O'Grady hat-trick, Messi o.g.)
You
You heard it here FIRST.:drool:
I'm sure it was said on one of those martin Perry tour videos.
The stadium is compliant with European football.

If that's not the case I retract my previous post and sincerely apologise to [MENTION=23111]Dougie[/MENTION] for being rude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here