Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Redknapp speaks out against the "director of football" type role

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I wonder if D Burke has read this?

Harry Redknapp: Directors of football are a joke... they undermine managers and leave your head on the block when signings fail

* QPR boss Harry Redknapp would not work with a director of football
* Damien Comolli was sacked by Tottenham after Redknapp's arrival in 2008
* Franco Baldini now works at Spurs but some of his signings are struggling
* Redknapp believes working under a director of football is 'nonsense'

QPR boss Harry Redknapp launched an attack on directors of football, insisting that he could never work alongside one at Loftus Road.
The former Tottenham boss ripped into the system used by Spurs, who sit 12th in the Premier League following a huge but generally unsuccessful recruitment drive in the summer of 2013.

Under the guidance of technical director Franco Baldini, the north London outfit spent the money earned from Gareth Bale's world record move to Real Madrid on seven players at a cost of £107million.

Andre Villas-Boas was sacked by chairman Daniel Levy just a few months later, with summer acquisitions including Paulinho, Roberto Soldado and Erik Lamela failing to live up to their hefty price-tags.

Redknapp, who has complete control of purchases at QPR, cannot see the sense in managers being forced to work with players that they have not chosen themselves.

In an interview with the Evening Standard, Redknapp said: 'It totally undermines your role as manager if you're not picking the players. It's a joke really that you are expected to work with someone else's players. It's all very well someone recommending players to you but when they don't work out, it's your head on the block.'

The 67-year-old made his feelings about working under a director of football clear to Tottenham when he moved to White Hart Lane in 2008, resulting in Damien Comolli being sacked.

And Redknapp insists that it is not fair that managers are judged - and possibly sacked - because of decisions not made by them.
He added: 'I'm just not in favour of that. As a manager I have to select the players, train them every day and make decisions. To expect me to work with players someone else has decided I want is a nonsense. I want to make my own decisions and rightfully so. If things don't work out fine, I'm responsible for that. But why should I be accountable for someone else's mistakes?
'My head's on the block when it goes wrong so no I'm not going to support something that could cost me my job and I have no say in it.'

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Depends what system you employ. It should work when the manager tells the Director of Football the type of player he wants. The DoF then communicates this to the scouts who find those that fit the bill and a list is drawn up based on what the club can afford. This is then presented to the manager who grades them in order of his preferred choices. The DoF then negotiates to bring in the managers preferred options.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Guaranteed people slate Redknapp with the 'his a dinosaur' quote. But I actually agree with him, a manager lives and dies by results and is ultimately fully responsible for performances on the pitch, therefore it makes perfect sense that a manager would want full control over all football related matters which includes player recruitment.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Harry Redknapp was Director of football at Pompey when Brian Rix was manager so he knows what he is talking about!

I see no reason why a director of football shouldn't work. There's loads more to the identifying and recruiting players, stuff that the manager doesn't have time for and shouldn't be involved with.

As long as he has the final say in whether a player is signed or not.

Like at the Albion.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Completely agree with him.

A manager should pick his own players. It's just bloody common sense.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
he only moans about them because they try and stop him signing a bunch of shite for massively over-inflated wages like he always does, then leaves them in the shit financially when he ****s off at the slightest chance of a better job

hes a grade a **** and cant wait for him to retire

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here