Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which London airport needs another runway?

Which London airport needs another runway?

• Heathrow

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Gatwick

Votes: 66 55.5%
  • Heathrow and Gatwick both need one more runway

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Neither. It's fine as it is.

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Croydon. In fact why build just one, build 500 there.

Landing in Croydon would be far too depressing. Just stopping on a train at Croydon station provokes suicidal thoughts...

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The proposed Boris Island Airport is probably the best solution, but doesn't seem to be that likely now.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
The proposed Boris Island Airport is probably the best solution, but doesn't seem to be that likely now.

It would be difficult persuading airlines to fly to some replica London city airport where none of their code share partners fly there. It's why luton and stansted are full of budget european airlines. Heathrow and Gatwick are the places tobe when you fly to London. They will pay the hefty gate price no matter what.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Voted for LGW and LHR as I dont live near enough to either for it to affect me but those living nearby may have different views.

If LHR gets the nod, the runway is allegedly planned for the area where the A4 / Bath Road is, which includes Harmondsworth, Sipson & Harlington resulting in a big upheaval for lots of people.
The debate has been going on for a while now.
Another angle is that if it is built, it may mean the closure of the runway at RAF Northolt, which could lose the MOD a fortune??

Together with the proposed HS2 carving its way through my neighbourhood, its going to be a fun ride all the way :tantrum:

512px-Heathrow_Airport_map_with_third_runway_svg.png

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Landing in Croydon would be far too depressing. Just stopping on a train at Croydon station provokes suicidal thoughts...

Everything in a five mile radius would be flattened, apart from the railway line, under my plan so that wouldn't be an issue.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anyone in Sussex, other than the NIMBYs in Charlwood, should vote for LGW as it will bring a massive boost to the local economy.

The NIMBY's should just move ASAP, the airport has been there longer than they have, should have thought about this earlier.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Anyone in Sussex, other than the NIMBYs in Charlwood, should vote for LGW as it will bring a massive boost to the local economy.

The NIMBY's should just move ASAP, the airport has been there longer than they have, should have thought about this earlier.

Every progressive infrastructure project in this country is a bloody national embarrassment. It takes ****ing decades to build anything! The same people that object to various network providers building a tower in their area are the ones moaning to the phone provider about having a crap signal.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Every progressive infrastructure project in this country is a bloody national embarrassment. It takes ****ing decades to build anything! All these 'local' people probably complain about a 3g/4g mask being built in their area and then moan about having a crap signal.

That would look like one of those giant Easter Island heads I expect. I'd welcome an enormous FACE looming on top of the downs. Especially if it scared those utter tools in Croydon away.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
If LHR gets the nod, the runway is allegedly planned for the area where the A4 / Bath Road is, which includes Harmondsworth, Sipson & Harlington resulting in a big upheaval for lots of people.
The debate has been going on for a while now.
Another angle is that if it is built, it may mean the closure of the runway at RAF Northolt, which could lose the MOD a fortune??

Together with the proposed HS2 carving its way through my neighbourhood, its going to be a fun ride all the way :tantrum:

View attachment 60134

This might sound like a mental question, but could they not develop Northolt for passenger service? Face it the runway is definitely long enough!!!!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Every progressive infrastructure project in this country is a bloody national embarrassment. It takes ****ing decades to build anything! The same people that object to various network providers building a tower in their area are the ones moaning to the phone provider about having a crap signal.

At least we are making an effort and the infrastructure is decent. Try flying in to JFK. You land, taxi for half an hour, take a zillion years to get through immigration and then there is no direct public transport system to take you in to Manhattan.

And there are absolutely no plans to change any of this.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At least we are making an effort and the infrastructure is decent. Try flying in to JFK. You land, taxi for half an hour, take a zillion years to get through immigration and then there is no direct public transport system to take you in to Manhattan.

And there are absolutely no plans to change any of this.....

That is why most people, or should I say a lot of people, fly to Newark and get the train in to Manhattan, it is a lot quicker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here