Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
srtrc-141114-l229-2084257_478x359.jpg

Show Racism The Red Card workshop.
Image by: Tom Irving

PUBLISHED
15:43 14th November 2014
by James Hilsum
It’s important that we do events like this to show the kids that racism is not acceptable and learn the reasons why."
David Stockdale

Brighton & Hove Albion players David Stockdale, Elliott Bennett and Kazenga LuaLua attended an anti-racism workshop hosted by Albion in the Community, in partnership with Show Racism the Red Card (SRTRC), at the Amex Stadium on Thursday.
The workshop, led by former professional footballer and SRTRC spokesman Steve Kabba, was delivered to almost 100 primary school children from across Brighton and discussed themes relating to skin colour, culture, respect and discrimination.
AITC also held their own workshop alongside SRTRC, which focused on respect both on and off the football pitch.
The Albion trio then took part in a Q&A session with the pupils, before posing for photographs and signing autographs.
Moulsecoomb Primary School students, Ibrahim 11, and Jamie 10, greatly benefitted from the day and were thrilled to see the Albion first-teamers.
“We got to talk about respect and discrimination and the point was that we don’t judge a book by its cover,” Ibrahim said.
“I learned loads and that racism can also be directed against white people, when I thought it was only against black people. Kazenga LuaLua is my favourite player and I was speechless when I saw him,” Jamie added.

LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Seagulls shot-stopper, Stockdale, stressed how important these events are and how footballers play a vital role in helping to eradicate racism.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “It was good for the kids to see how footballers view racism, not just in football, but in different sports as well. It was important for them to hear the thoughts of someone they look up to in the community.
“It’s important that we do events like this to show the kids that racism is not acceptable and learn the reasons why. It’s good to show that racism is gradually becoming more minimal in the community.”
The workshop’s leader, Kabba, believed the event was a great success and felt that the workshop’s participants learned a lot about the issues surrounding racism.
“The kids looked like they were taking everything on board and were able to interact with the information we were giving them. The Brighton boys were brilliant and elaborated on the answers they gave to the children.
“It is vital that these anti-racism messages are delivered to the younger generation to get the message ingrained early on.
“You are learning all the time by running these workshops and from the kids as well. They come from different backgrounds and sometimes different countries as well and elaborate on their own personal experiences of racism.
“The issue is not just in football, but it is a worldwide problem in society. Therefore, it’s great that AITC are involved and we can run these type of events.”[h=3]ALBION V fulham
[/h]SaturDAY 29TH November, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V millwall
[/h]friday 12th december, KICK-OFF 7:45PM

[h=3]Albion v reading
[/h]fRiDAY 26TH decEMber, kick-off 3pm

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here