Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planning Application - New Plough Lane Stadium, Wimbledon

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I like the flood lights on the corners. Are they being used as roof supports as well? Also like the way that inner city stadium developments all seem to include housing developments now, makes a lot of sense.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I used to live about 15 minutes walk from the Plough Lane ground; it was deeply saddening to see the state it was in until it was eventually knocked down. The new stadium is all of five minutes from where the old one was - should be an adornment to a rather run-down area

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
excellent bit of development in an otherwise ropey area. i recal Merton council have been supportive of Wimbledon (well last decade), so hopefully this will breeze through.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I used to live about 15 minutes walk from the Plough Lane ground; it was deeply saddening to see the state it was in until it was eventually knocked down. The new stadium is all of five minutes from where the old one was - should be an adornment to a rather run-down area

Just a little closer than I used to live (The Ridgeway) although to be fair, I would never have walked to Plough Lane to check as we left Wimbledon when I was 5!!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

That looks like the site of Wimbledon stadium ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The football club is one bidder for the stadium site, the other bidder wants to develop it and keep it for greyhound racing. As far as I can see, it's not been decided which one will win but surely dog racing has a limited future? If it were thriving, we wouldn't have so many dog tracks closing down

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
As far as I can see, it's not been decided which one will win but surely dog racing has a limited future? If it were thriving, we wouldn't have so many dog tracks closing down

The bookmakers don't want to take bets on it anymore.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
An 11,000 capacity is perfect for Palace once Selhurst finally falls down and they need a ground share :lolol:

therealdsg

Sep 3, 2011
Preston Park
What will happen to Kingstonian, seeing as AFC Wimbledon own Kingsmeadow?

IIRC AFC bought the lease but had to retain Kingstonian as tenants. I assume they'll sell they'll sell the lease back to the council and Kingstonians will carry on whilst benefiting from the improvements made by AFC during their tenure.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
IIRC AFC bought the lease but had to retain Kingstonian as tenants. I assume they'll sell they'll sell the lease back to the council and Kingstonians will carry on whilst benefiting from the improvements made by AFC during their tenure.

The irony of the whiter than white perfect football club AFC Wimbledon =making another club whose ground they moved into homeless would be absolutely superb. Doesn't look like that will happen though if you are correct

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Just a little closer than I used to live (The Ridgeway) although to be fair, I would never have walked to Plough Lane to check as we left Wimbledon when I was 5!!
Another ex Wimbledonian here. I lived there for 9 years including a spell 10 minutes walk away. The whole area has been a crowded mess for years now, this would massively improve it.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Where is the proposed new ground is it on the land between the old ground and the speedway stadium where Schweppes used to have a depot?

Just off Garratt Lane, the A217 from Tooting Broadway. You turn into Summerstown, then go round a bend to a roundabout. One road (Blackshaw Road) leads to St George's Hospital, the other is Plough Lane. The site is actually in SW17 (Tooting), just about the only part of Merton that is (the old ground, which was the other side of the River Wandle, was in SW19, Wimbledon's postcode). I'm about a 15 minute bus ride away when I'm in London. What surprised me is that AFC Wimbledon chose to share with Kingstonian rather than with Tooting and Mitcham, whose ground (in Mitcham) is in Merton Borough and a good bit closer to Wimbledon than Kingsmeadow, and certainly was a better ground before AFC started improviing Kingsmeadow.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
What surprised me is that AFC Wimbledon chose to share with Kingstonian rather than with Tooting and Mitcham, whose ground (in Mitcham) is in Merton Borough and a good bit closer to Wimbledon than Kingsmeadow, and certainly was a better ground before AFC started improviing Kingsmeadow.

On second thoughts, perhaps not. The main stand does look impressive from the main road, but you can't see that it doesn't run the whole length of the pitch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperi...perial_Fields_-_geograph.org.uk_-_2434693.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperi...perial_Fields_-_geograph.org.uk_-_2434730.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here