Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The new Sainsbury's Christmas ad

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Personally i dont have a problem with it. If it makes money for the British legion then fair play. Yes there is slightly dubious brand association from Sainsburys, but it's one of those instances where if you really want to find something to get angry about then you will. I don' think it's worth getting flustered about.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I think its brilliant. Would be slightly odd if it was done 4 years ago for example. The story which is being said, happened 100 years ago this Christmas. Not next Christmas, not last Christmas, this Christmas.

Whats the problem with it!?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Stands up as a film in its own right I'd suggest. Saw it at the cinema yesterday and it was well received. A few guffaws when the Sainsburys association was revealed at the end, has to be said, but if the net result is a sizeable donation to the British Legion, then fair play. Certainly beats the shit out of John Lewis's crappy penguin ad, on every level.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Considering they'd been living in squalor in a muddy trench for months, I was quite surprised at how immaculately turned out they were for this game. Fair play to them for that.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I like it (and not because i'm contractually bound to). I do agree that it is a curious connection between the atrocities of War and a supermarket (the...retail war?) but it was refreshing to see that it was a) well researched and b) not just a sales tactic, but the British Legion benefits (i believe) at least from the exposure from it.

There's more important and bigger things to get angry about in this world.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Stands up as a film in its own right I'd suggest. Saw it at the cinema yesterday and it was well received. A few guffaws when the Sainsburys association was revealed at the end, has to be said, but if the net result is a sizeable donation to the British Legion, then fair play. Certainly beats the shit out of John Lewis's crappy penguin ad, on every level.

3rd agreement in less than a week !!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure I'm overly comfortable with using tales from the WWI trenches to flog groceries to us, considering the young men portrayed in this rather saccharine, airbrushed portrayal were probably lying dead in the mud a few days later. But if it helps Sainsburys win the supermarket wars this Christmas then I suppose they'll consider it job done.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I like the add/short film. The only mention of Sainsbury's is right at the end. I can't help but think that we could have just played football for 4 years instead of killing each other.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure I'm overly comfortable with using tales from the WWI trenches to flog groceries to us, considering the young men portrayed in this rather saccharine, airbrushed portrayal were probably lying dead in the mud a few days later. But if it helps Sainsburys win the supermarket wars this Christmas then I suppose they'll consider it job done.

Doubt it's going to sell Sainsburys THAT many extra Xmas groceries tbh, even with the obligatory media storm. But if it forces John Lewis to have a word with themselves then it'll all have been worthwhile. For what its worth, I'm quite fond also of the Waitrose Xmas ad where the shy young schoolgirl is coaxed out of her shell by being put in charge of the gingerbread stall.

Hell yes, I'm even grateful for Peter Andre in the Iceland ads, if only because it saves us from that fat worthless cow Kerry Katona.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Considering they'd been living in squalor in a muddy trench for months, I was quite surprised at how immaculately turned out they were for this game. Fair play to them for that.

The continuity was pretty poor, there were about 6 rows of barbed wire shown between the trenches which magically disappeared to make way for a clearing of pretty good quality for a kickaround. Other than that, it's a prickly subject matter TBH and reminds me of when ITV used to to do it's telethon with a money shot of a big donation cheque with the company advertised on it. I mean, did Sainsbury's even make their own brand chocolate in 1914 ?

Overall I think it is a bad move but any publicity is publicity so Sainsbury's will probably tough it out.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
They're trying to sell you stuff.

That's it.

Nothing wrong with that per se but I refuse to be "moved" by a retailer appropriating WWI or deploying cute penguins.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doubt it's going to sell Sainsburys THAT many extra Xmas groceries tbh, even with the obligatory media storm. But if it forces John Lewis to have a word with themselves then it'll all have been worthwhile.

Which begs the question, if they didn't think they were going to flog a few extra christmas puds, deodorant gift sets and frozen prawn vol-au-vents off the back of their glossy, sentimental WWI trench warfare ad, then why bother in the first place ?

I think some subjects are probably best left alone with it comes to the usual Xmas consumerism frenzy, but I guess when it comes to selling stuff, anything goes. Whats next - Argos giving us a soft-focus Hiroshima montage in homage to the release of their "Autumn-Nuclear-Winter" catalogue ?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Which begs the question, if they didn't think they were going to flog a few extra christmas puds, deodorant gift sets and frozen prawn vol-au-vents off the back of their glossy, sentimental WWI trench warfare ad, then why bother in the first place ?QUOTE]

perceieved positive brand association through a charitable act i would imagine.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Which begs the question, if they didn't think they were going to flog a few extra christmas puds, deodorant gift sets and frozen prawn vol-au-vents off the back of their glossy, sentimental WWI trench warfare ad, then why bother in the first place ?

Aiming for the Tower of London poppy-bothering demographic maybe :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The continuity was pretty poor, there were about 6 rows of barbed wire shown between the trenches which magically disappeared to make way for a clearing of pretty good quality for a kickaround. Other than that, it's a prickly subject matter TBH and reminds me of when ITV used to to do it's telethon with a money shot of a big donation cheque with the company advertised on it. I mean, did Sainsbury's even make their own brand chocolate in 1914 ?

Overall I think it is a bad move but any publicity is publicity so Sainsbury's will probably tough it out.

Exactly. As has been alluded to, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Like I said, job done.

I don't even watch ads (I'm a notorious flicker with the remote), so the fact I've already seen this dross from start to end, and am actually engaging in conversation and debate about it, means they've already won anyway.

*sigh*

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here