Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School governor forced to resign for joining UKIP

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Whilst I am no fan of UKIP, they are a legal party and this is a bit worrying- I could understand if he was a member of Combat 18 or something but this is a bit too far IMO.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can think of one particular NSC bellend who will be on here to make some laughably spurious case for the defence.

But to any sane person, this is clearly ridiculous.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Seems at first glance to be both outrageous and stupid.

This woman has just written another headline for Farage further adding to the myth that UKIP are anti-establishment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Take it to the Human right court and you will get your job back ???

Was he "forced" to resign for joining UKIP (I doubt it) or was he resigning for pushing forward political views in the classroom?
The former is quite possibly illegal, the latter is understandable. Although exactly what constitutes pushing forward political views means is not exactly clear.

He was a governor, not a member of staff. He has no job to 'get back' and would not have been anywhere near a classroom.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
1. Since when were governors 'staff'?

2. The headteacher has no remit to TELL a governor to resign. She could suggest it. He could and should, have refused.

It could also be that he used his previous political affiliation to gain the role in the first place. That would put a different slant on things - to go in as a Labour councillor and then switch allegiances would be grossly misrepresentative. Maybe the head was suggesting the councillor resign for switching political allegiances, not because he simply switched to UKIP.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Mao would be proud.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Whilst I am no fan of UKIP, they are a legal party and this is a bit worrying- I could understand if he was a member of Combat 18 or something but this is a bit too far IMO.

Completely agree. As long as he wasn't using the role to promote the party in anyway then I would have no issue with him holding the position, even though I don't have any time for UKIP at all.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. Another voice here saying that on the face of it the headteacher's actions are indefensible. Unless of course the 'ethos of the school' is that everyone must have identical political views.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
1. Since when were governors 'staff'?

2. The headteacher has no remit to TELL a governor to resign. She could suggest it. He could and should, have refused.

You're normally a fair poster but one I normally disagree with , on this occasion you're using spurious technicalities to dodge the issue , he was forced, as in he felt unable to continue , something akin to constructive dismissal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You're normally a fair poster but one I normally disagree with , on this occasion you're using spurious technicalities to dodge the issue , he was forced, as in he felt unable to continue , something akin to constructive dismissal.

What are you disagreeing with you dunce!? I said that he could and SHOULD have refused to resign, because he is NOT her staff, and as such she has NO REMIT to tell him to do so.

FFS. :facepalm:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I said he felt like unable to continue, obviously after pressure from the headmistress , no need to get all bent out of shape hansy

I've genuinely no idea what point you are trying to make.

The difference between the Chair of the Board of Governors, and a member of school staff, is not 'a spurious technicality' - its utterly fundamental to this discussion. One is in a position of authority OVER the stupid HeadTeacher, one is working below her.

Headteachers can't remove Governors. Governors can remove Headteachers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here