Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New TV Advice

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hi,

I tried a search, but my criteria seemingly was poor as I couldn't find another thread to bump.

Basically, my old trust Panasonic CRT telly, which has served me well for years has started to play up - it's no longer responding to any remote controls - I've changed batteries, and even purchased a replacement controller online and it's the telly that's faulty.

So, it may be time to get a new one.

I have Sky HD in the room (not used currently, as the existing telly is SD), so I want to take advantage of that.

I'd like to be able to run apps on it, such as youtube and Amazon Prime video (as I'm a Prime member), and I'd like it to be a decent size (45-50 cm). The only other criteria is I'd like it to be no more than about £600 all in.

So, which model's best? I see that Samsung do some decent smart TVs as do Sony and LG. Also, is Tesco a reasonable place to look to buy from, or are there better places?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Samsung have the grip on the market right now. Personally I would visit Tesco, Currys etc and look at loads until you find a model you like. Make a note of it then visit Pricerunner website for best price. Places such as Hills of Hove will often try to match where they can AND they know what they are talking about.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I have a Samsung 8000 series TV and it is immense. Even at 4 years old people comment on the picture quality. Wasnt the cheapest at the time (nor most expensive) but am very happy with purchase and would recomend.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Worst thing you can do is go in and look at them, seriously. I made that mistake with a budget of about £1K in mind. However, upon going in and seeing the big 85" 4K HD Curved TV's (with a price tag of around £3.5K) I am struggling to fin one I like for under £1k

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Worst thing you can do is go in and look at them, seriously. I made that mistake with a budget of about £1K in mind. However, upon going in and seeing the big 85" 4K HD Curved TV's (with a price tag of around £3.5K) I am struggling to fin one I like for under £1k

I saw that one of display / Demo at PC World in Hove - it's superb. A little over indulgent for me though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I recently bought an LG Smart TV too, it's brilliant. Again not then most expensive (think it was about £600) but picture quality is great and the smart TV functions are pretty cool (for example finding a youtube video on my ipad and just clicking the icon it feed it to the TV and linking the TV via wifi to the PC to look at family photos, stuff like that). TV comes with a remote that is basically a mouse - small cursor on the screen. As [MENTION=28459]Prince Monolulu[/MENTION] says get along to one or two of the big stores and have a good look around - the ranges are huge.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Remember those on display will usually appear to have a much better tv picture than you will get once its at home

How come?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Remember those on display will usually appear to have a much better tv picture than you will get once its at home

ive always found the show TVs to be poor, unless its the top of the range one. i always thourht this a cynical attempt to up sell, but someone once mentioned its because they have a single source and a spliter, so the signal is degraded.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If I were buying now, I'd be buying 4k or waiting a bit until 4k came within budget.

Assume you mean 48-50 inches (not cm) - it looks like about £1k is what you'd need to be spending - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr...s=4k+tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1415970742&rnid=161398031

Yes inches - not CMs. The issued I'd have with buying a 4K telly now, is that other than Youtube and some Netflix, there's no 4k broadcasts available. I know these TVs do upscale normal HD input, but it seem a lot of expense for something I may not use for a couple of years.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
the LG 47LB730V currently wins the plaudits in my tech magazine of choice.

"This is how you make a web TV"

Is their summary. They rate it over TVs from Sony, Samsung and Panasonic at the moment, £799 list price, bound to be cheaper if you go to Currys/RicherSounds etc.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
ive always found the show TVs to be poor, unless its the top of the range one. i always thourht this a cynical attempt to up sell, but someone once mentioned its because they have a single source and a spliter, so the signal is degraded.

But apparently you can't degrade a digital signal ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes inches - not CMs. The issued I'd have with buying a 4K telly now, is that other than Youtube and some Netflix, there's no 4k broadcasts available. I know these TVs do upscale normal HD input, but it seem a lot of expense for something I may not use for a couple of years.

"A couple of years"...

How long have you had that CRT for?

Will Mrs PL allow you to upgrade the still perfectly functional 2014 TV to a 4k TV in 2 years time?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If you like sport and films on your tv and you are fussy about the picture, which I suspect you are not as you still have SD(!), then go for plasma. I got talked into an LED and knew I would regret it, which I did almost immediately.

With regard 4K, as mentioned above, they have come down to around £500, so if they are smart tv's as well, how can you go wrong?

On a side note, are 4K tv's all in LED or can you get Plasma?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here