Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone fences, when did they go up?

stonski

Jan 31, 2009
Cowfold
When did the Goldstone fences go up? Was it in the summer of 1978 after the Spurs "riot"? Did they all go up at the same time including the away pen?

Can't remember the opposition but definitely the date, it was the first Saturday in December 78, me and my mate got in the South early as the fences had been installed all the way along the flanks and behind the goals, however the corners hadn't been completed so you still got an unrestricted view from there at that time.

I think you'll find a programme ad from the time that said something along the lines of "Littlehampton Weilding, proud makers of the Goldstone fences" I question what there was to be proud of

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The next question is.....when did they come down?
I seem to remember about 2000 Chelsea fans gaining pretty easy access to the pitch early in the 83-84 season.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
There must be a body of work out there on football fences, every other aspect of the game has been covered by academia? I've always been fascinated by them.

There were a number of distinct styles, some easier than others to scale and hang off. Ours suffered from not having an extra bar across the spikes at the top - so they started to look a bit scruffy - especailly after Arsenal in the League Cup when the spikes on the North stand fences got bent and buckled by us legging it out of there.

What was more bizarre were the two metal poles which replaced the fences along the West terraces - what were they all about? As for the rotating blue spikes on the away fence when that was moved to the South East - well, they were pure evil.

But the gold medal of course goes to Chelsea and Ken Bates - who electrified his fences. If Jose wants to liven up the Bridge he could try the electric shock route.

Fences turned grounds into death traps and the people responsible for seeing them as a solution to trouble on the terraces should forever hang their heads in shame.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
There must be a body of work out there on football fences, every other aspect of the game has been covered by academia? I've always been fascinated by them.

There were a number of distinct styles, some easier than others to scale and hang off. Ours suffered from not having an extra bar across the spikes at the top - so they started to look a bit scruffy - especailly after Arsenal in the League Cup when the spikes on the North stand fences got bent and buckled by us legging it out of there.

What was more bizarre were the two metal poles which replaced the fences along the West terraces - what were they all about? As for the rotating blue spikes on the away fence when that was moved to the South East - well, they were pure evil.

But the gold medal of course goes to Chelsea and Ken Bates - who electrified his fences. If Jose wants to liven up the Bridge he could try the electric shock route.

Fences turned grounds into death traps and the people responsible for seeing them as a solution to trouble on the terraces should forever hang their heads in shame.

Surely Bates never got his electric fence dream? I remember him wanting it though.

stonski

Jan 31, 2009
Cowfold
Some also had grease or an anti-climbing substance painted on them as well to try and deter people from scaling them

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I have a book called 'Up,Up, and Away written by good old John Vinicombe detailing BHA's rise to the 1st Division in the 78-79season. In the early part of the book there is a pic of the East Stand on Sept 30th with no fencing and the West on Nov 11th with no fencing. By Dec 2nd there is a pic of the West which now has fencing installed. So would appear to be the latter half of 1978.

There is a piece in the book in which Mike Bamber says he would like BHA to move to a site on the outskirts of B and H, to a 'multi purpose sports complex with easy access to arterial roads and a rail link and car parking for 7,000 cars (Bennetts Field anyone) and all spectators seated.' However the plans are 'at least 5 years off.' !!!!! It also goes onto say how Mike Bamber dealt with 'a flood of questions' on BBC Radio Sussex and made 'no attempt to skirt round controversial issues' denying the Albion were 'pricing themselves out of business' saying the Albion had to 'balance the books.' When a fan told him the £1.30 admission charge was a 'big rip off' Bamber retorted 'if you want to see the Albion in D1 we cannot do it without finance.'

Interesting stuff, for Bamber in 1978 read Bloom in 2014. Seems not much changes really down the years in terms of issues facing football clubs / fans.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I have a book called 'Up,Up, and Away written by good old John Vinicombe detailing BHA's rise to the 1st Division in the 78-79season. In the early part of the book there is a pic of the East Stand on Sept 30th with no fencing and the West on Nov 11th with no fencing. By Dec 2nd there is a pic of the West which now has fencing installed. So would appear to be the latter half of 1978.

There is a piece in the book in which Mike Bamber says he would like BHA to move to a site on the outskirts of B and H, to a 'multi purpose sports complex with easy access to arterial roads and a rail link and car parking for 7,000 cars (Bennetts Field anyone) and all spectators seated.' However the plans are 'at least 5 years off.' !!!!! It also goes onto say how Mike Bamber dealt with 'a flood of questions' on BBC Radio Sussex and made 'no attempt to skirt round controversial issues' denying the Albion were 'pricing themselves out of business' saying the Albion had to 'balance the books.' When a fan told him the £1.30 admission charge was a 'big rip off' Bamber retorted 'if you want to see the Albion in D1 we cannot do it without finance.'

Interesting stuff, for Bamber in 1978 read Bloom in 2014. Seems not much changes really down the years in terms of issues facing football clubs / fans.
Great post. £1.30 was extortionate. I wonder how much Bamber charged for Harveys?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Great post. £1.30 was extortionate. I wonder how much Bamber charged for Harveys?

Thanks. I do remember Watneys signs adorning the back of the West Stand when I first started going, no doubt a pint of Watneys was indeed a 'big rip off' as well!!! I do remember purchasing a Wagon Wheel and thinking it was overpriced!!!

stonski

Jan 31, 2009
Cowfold
Thanks. I do remember Watneys signs adorning the back of the West Stand when I first started going, no doubt a pint of Watneys was indeed a 'big rip off' as well!!! I do remember purchasing a Wagon Wheel and thinking it was overpriced!!!

I remember a mate getting hit by a thrown wagon wheel by some oik in the away pen. Not sure what game it was but it didn't half explode when it hit him.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Given the quality of the catering at the Goldstone, surely the wagon wheel was actually an overcooked burger?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The next question is.....when did they come down?
I seem to remember about 2000 Chelsea fans gaining pretty easy access to the pitch early in the 83-84 season.

They came down in two-stages. I rememner the West Stand fences being removed but the uprights remained with two single scaffolding bars fixed and running along the top of the perimeter wall. These were set back slightly from the perimeter wall and kids used to duck under and lean over the wall like the pre-fence days.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
They came down in two-stages. I rememner the West Stand fences being removed but the uprights remained with two single scaffolding bars fixed and running along the top of the perimeter wall. These were set back slightly from the perimeter wall and kids used to duck under and lean over the wall like the pre-fence days.

I was one such person who used to duck and lean over the wall. Even remember climbing over the wall pre-match in order to get players autographs. Imagine doing at the Amex, you'd be swooped on by an army of stewards in high viz jackets before you could even utter the word 'please.'!!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here