Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student Loans/Grants

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Just watching Watchdog on the Beeb.

One woman up north, apparently single with 2 kids , complained that her grant was reduced from c£19k to £3k (remember tax free) between years 1 and 2. I concur with her, big difference.

But £19k? Equivalent to £26k pre tax to the rest of us? Possibly receiving housing benefit and other bits n pieces? Can this possibly make sense? We give someone the equivalent of a decent wage to go to Uni/College and thus avoiding the need to work, why don't we all do it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
why don't we all do it? I'll ask you, why don't you go and educate yourself at Uni ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS at least 10k of that will be gobbled up in Uni fees.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was lucky enough to go to university when the tutition was free for all, and a parental means-tested maintenance grant of around 2.5K per year was available for 'living expenses' (ie beer money ). We could also sign on for unemployment benefit and housing benefit in the summer break, without even having to look for work as just being a student was enough to qualify.

As such I can't really begrudge any current student getting a grant.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Is it a grant or a loan? Massive difference, you don't seem sure yourself.

What was she studying? Was it vocational, perhaps something like nursing which we need more of?

Was she having to support these kids? If so, isn't it quite long-term-thinking of her to go to uni and get qualified? 3 years of paying is better than 18.

Not gonna get on this bandwagon.

Thumbs_down

May 10, 2014
The whole system is broken.

Living costs are too high. Even students need somewhere to live.

Tuition fees are too high. How long does it take for a graduate to pay their debts these days?

Salaries are too low. Even the "middle classes" mostly doesn't have a pot to piss in, as for the working classes...

...and what has the average graduate got to show for it? Thousands have been duped into investing in utterly pointless degrees (sorry philosophy, media, drama, etc graduates) by the education minister of ten years ago. While those who get the more practical degrees are often sucked into irrelevant jobs or industries which are dull, unrewarding or lack career progression now that degrees have become so common and meaningless.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
why don't we all do it? I'll ask you, why don't you go and educate yourself at Uni ?
I was expected to do just that as a youth, but I made some poor decisions. Now I am paying for other peoples poor decisions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was expected to do just that as a youth, but I made some poor decisions. Now I am paying for other peoples poor decisions.

It's never too late to go and get extra education. I know people who have taken degrees in the 30s, 40s and 50s. I know a Phd student who is 60.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Why is their decision poor?

The whole system is broken. Even simple PA jobs require/request a degree.

Nowadays, you need to spend big to earn little.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thousands have been duped into investing in utterly pointless degrees (sorry philosophy, media, drama, etc graduates)

Quite an anti-intellectual statement. Given the high rates of youth unemployment you could argue it's utterly pointless even bothering with schools these days??

And the old media chestnut. An industry which is growing daily and worth 36 billion to the UK economy each year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The whole system is broken.

Living costs are too high. Even students need somewhere to live.

Tuition fees are too high. How long does it take for a graduate to pay their debts these days?

Salaries are too low. Even the "middle classes" mostly doesn't have a pot to piss in, as for the working classes...

...and what has the average graduate got to show for it? Thousands have been duped into investing in utterly pointless degrees (sorry philosophy, media, drama, etc graduates) by the education minister of ten years ago. While those who get the more practical degrees are often sucked into irrelevant jobs or industries which are dull, unrewarding or lack career progression now that degrees have become so common and meaningless.

Agreed. To add to this, try and get a plumber, carpenter or electrician........why aren't we making trades more attractive to bright kids instead of these being seen as the preserve of the less educated ? Well done Blair, getting 50% of kids into Uni was such a great idea (in case it matters, I have a daughter at Uni - nursing degree, required to enter nursing at any sensible level)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed. To add to this, try and get a plumber, carpenter or electrician........why aren't we making trades more attractive to bright kids instead of these being seen as the preserve of the less educated ? Well done Blair, getting 50% of kids into Uni was such a great idea (in case it matters, I have a daughter at Uni - nursing degree, required to enter nursing at any sensible level)

Plumbing etc are highly respected trades here in Germany and as I understand it you have to have some sort of permit to practice and sit annual exams to keep current. It all helps to raise the standard of service and respect of the profession. I can only imagine the UK reaction to licenses and yearly exams.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

What was she studying? Was it vocational, perhaps something like nursing which we need more of?

Was she having to support these kids? If so, isn't it quite long-term-thinking of her to go to uni and get qualified? 3 years of paying is better than 18.

No because she'll earn an average salary and will never pay it back...Only 50% of student grants are ever paid back,so obviously many who get good qualifications choose lower paid jobs instead of higher paid jobs to avoid paying it back.

The system is defo broke

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was lucky enough to go to university when the tutition was free for all, and a parental means-tested maintenance grant of around 2.5K per year was available for 'living expenses' (ie beer money ). We could also sign on for unemployment benefit and housing benefit in the summer break, without even having to look for work as just being a student was enough to qualify.

Same here. Happy days. :drink::drink::drink:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Because to do those jobs you have to work hard for **** all money, with no guarantee of a job after you complete your apprenticeship?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Nursing students don't pay fees, but they have to do several weeks 'placement' when all the others are holiday. Depending on where they study they may also get a bursary towards living costs.

Parents - get your kids to study nursing if they insist on going to Uni

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here