Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers The Brighton Belle ?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
How brilliant would it be to see this iconic train running on the Brighton line once again.
And maybe ride on board.

It could happen:

http://www.brightonbelle.com

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Wonderful memories of trips to London with girl friends in the late 50's.early 60's. May not seem like much theses days but eating Cheese on toast washed down with Tuborg Lager ona train was so cool.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh yes. Went on it a few times as a boy. Would be brilliant to see it back. (Or more accurately stopped outside East Croydon because there are 'too many trains')

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, remember it well. Went on it a couple of times - would be lovely to see it back.

It would be good to have a preserved line somewhere with other old Southern Electric stock running on it, but I suspect there's not enough of that left to make it viable.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes, remember it well. Used it infrequently, in fact only once, as a kid, as there was as a supplement. The colouring compared to the usual rather drab green, tended to make it special. I recall that in first class, you got this cloth attached to the seat for your head so that you did not dirty your precious self by touching the seat, but the cloths always looked as grubby!

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Yes, remember it well. Went on it a couple of times - would be lovely to see it back.

It would be good to have a preserved line somewhere with other old Southern Electric stock running on it, but I suspect there's not enough of that left to make it viable.
Unless they can find a line with the 3rd rail still in place then it will never happen. Health and Safety would not grant permission for any new lines (or old lines like the Bluebell) to be built with a 3rd rail due to the risk of stupid people deciding to stand on the live rail.

And anyway, the Brighton Belle is an express train and would not be done justice running at 15-20mph on a 5 mile stretch. Get it back on the mainline ASAP

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
My parents used to (actually, still do) go on about getting this train in the swinging 60s with their pals. Still, I'm all for a bit of glamour on the daily commute, so I agree with getting it back on the mainline.

I think the ambition is to run mainline , the group purchased a post 1967 4 car electric unit (ironically the units that replaced the belle) the electrical equipment will be used from this plus all requirements for mainline running such as safety systems etc also there is provision for the belle to be pushed/pulled by a class 33 or 73.Initial Testing on the mainline is hoped for in spring 2015.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
A couple of years ago I took a short trip on the Orient Express from London Victoria to Folkestone. The train was made up of ex-BR Pullman Cars including one or two from the Brighton Belle.
In my younger days, I would try to time trips to London in order to catch the Belle. despite having to pay the supplement to the normal fare.
Of course in those days there was one train every hour with at least one Pullman Car travelling non-stop between Brighton and Victoria.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Unless they can find a line with the 3rd rail still in place then it will never happen. Health and Safety would not grant permission for any new lines (or old lines like the Bluebell) to be built with a 3rd rail due to the risk of stupid people deciding to stand on the live rail.

And anyway, the Brighton Belle is an express train and would not be done justice running at 15-20mph on a 5 mile stretch. Get it back on the mainline ASAP

Essentially the units would have to be remotored, as the current is higher now than it was when they were withdrawn in 1972. I travelled on one of the last "specials" which did a railtour.

Amazingly of the 15 carriages (3x 5coach) built, only one has been scrapped so there are a few spares, but the units were "refurbished" about 1968 and a lot of the original decor was taken out. They looked rather ugly in blue and grey, would be great to se the old umber and cream livery back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here