Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Tax Man

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Thought I'd share this with you to cheer up those with a 9 to 5 job.
I'm self employed and have 4 staff on PAYE. I have to send weekly reports to the HMRC about their earnings. Then every quarter I have to pay HMRC all tax & N.I. due. Unfortunately I took a well deserved holiday in October and missed filing two pay slips plus I was late paying the tax due (by late I mean 16 days and £1146 was due). Well how could I do this as I'm on holiday? Another beer please and sun cream my back. I've been fined and told not to do it again or the fine will be higher. I asked the girl what I could do and she replied, in all seriousness, don't go on holiday when payments are due!
I wonder if the tax man, or girl in this case, live in the real world?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thought I'd share this with you to cheer up those with a 9 to 5 job.
I'm self employed and have 4 staff on PAYE. I have to send weekly reports to the HMRC about their earnings. Then every quarter I have to pay HMRC all tax & N.I. due. Unfortunately I took a well deserved holiday in October and missed filing two pay slips plus I was late paying the tax due (by late I mean 16 days and £1146 was due). Well how could I do this as I'm on holiday? Another beer please and sun cream my back. I've been fined and told not to do it again or the fine will be higher. I asked the girl what I could do and she replied, in all seriousness, don't go on holiday when payments are due!
I wonder if the tax man, or girl in this case, live in the real world?

Would they not accept a payment earlier than the due date, ie before you went on holiday?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Could you not have left the stuff for one of your staff to submit?

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
The due dates and the penalty for missing them are quite clear, so no excuses really and no sympathy I am afraid.

Maybe not the best analogy, but if you are late getting back to your car and the time on the ticket has expired, you should not be surprised to find yourself with a parking ticket. Whether you like them or not, rules are rules.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Don't really understand the issue here. If you know the due date, and the payment amount, even if you don't want to pay in advance it's a trivial matter to set up an electronic payment which will go automatically on the required date. Failing that, you could have logged on to your account while on holiday and made the payment.

Don't see what being on holiday has to do with it. If you run a business, you set up systems (human or electronic) to deal with this kind of thing, and you can still go on holiday. Presumably your staff still get paid while you're on holiday, so why not the tax man?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
1. Why on earth do you run your payroll on a weekly basis, since the start of RTI anybody who didn't convert to monthly is silly.

2. Why didn't you run your payroll early, you can file RTI reports in advance.

3. You know when your liabilities are due no excuse for not paying on time, its easy to set up a bank payment a month in advance.

4. You wonder if the tax man live in the real world, I wonder if you do

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm in Team Tax Man on this one I think. I'm struggling to see the OP's point.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
1. Why on earth do you run your payroll on a weekly basis, since the start of RTI anybody who didn't convert to monthly is silly.

2. Why didn't you run your payroll early, you can file RTI reports in advance.

3. You know when your liabilities are due no excuse for not paying on time, its easy to set up a bank payment a month in advance.

4. You wonder if the tax man live in the real world, I wonder if you do

WOW!
1. My staff want to be paid weekly and that is how it is.
2. They work different hours each week and so I do not know there hours in advance. On a Sunday they tell me how many hours they worked and get paid. I cant file early if I did not know the wages.
3. I did not know my liabilities. As the staff had not been paid I did not know how much was due.
I would imagine 1000's of small businesses are like me.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
If you insist on retaining a weekly payroll, you could process the payroll before you go on holiday, paying your staff estimated payments that leave your account while you are away, so that you could submit the FPS return for RTI in advance.

Then pay them an correction to your estimates the week after you return.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Pretty sure the RTI penalties were deferred until 6 March 2015 so you shouldn't be charged but they should have told you this over the phone!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
WOW!
2. They work different hours each week and so I do not know there hours in advance. On a Sunday they tell me how many hours they worked and get paid. I cant file early if I did not know the wages.
3. I did not know my liabilities. As the staff had not been paid I did not know how much was due.

I have a solution that may (or may not) work for you based on how we pay our staff. Pay them a basic weekly amount based on their core hours, and any extra they work in that week gets paid a week in arrears.

You're also making life hard by paying weekly, but that's up to you.

I have sympathy for the admin side of things that you have to go through, but you have to accept that running a small business and employing people is a responsibility that doesn't disappear when you go on holiday. I'm going to guess that you earn a fair bit more than you would by being self-employed and having staff than you would if you were on someone eels payroll.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
WOW!

Ok (sensible post) how did the staff get paid while you were on holiday?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Pretty sure the RTI penalties were deferred until 6 March 2015 so you shouldn't be charged but they should have told you this over the phone!

There are no penalties for late RTI submission for small employers until after that date BUT there is interest on late payment of tax, which is probably the issue here.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I paid the staff by working out their average pay per hour based on 50 hours (as I was away they were more than happy to work extra) and allowed them to multiply by their hours and take the cash. Say £6.78 per hour AFTER deductions. On my return they gave me their work sheets and I did an exact figure. If I recall I owed them on average a few £'s each. My staff are VERY reliable and I trust them all.
In future I will look into paying them 'in advance', or at least doing their payslips and sending off to HMRC. Can I send an RTI in advance though?
And yes nwgull, I earn a heck of a lot more being self employed, hence I can go away on expensive holidays. Doing it again in three weeks (landing at Gatwick two hours before Millwall KO).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Prepare payslips for the period you are away based on what you expect to pay them. You can file as many RTI submissions in advance as you want to. When you get back adjust their next payslip to take into account any over/under hours. If you will be away when the paye/nic payment is due set up a bank payment in advance so it is automatically paid on the correct date.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here